Old 02-04-2007, 12:28 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default What did you get done this weekend?

yet another MIMI post. How low did Carol had to grovel and squirm to het
posted on RPM

Pathetic.

Reel McKoi wrote:

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Will the rose spike jack up the total nutrients and increase the
algae? My lilies might like some fertilizer.

I don't believe it's those Jobe's spikes because I use them in all the
pots of lilies. There has to be some logical answer for the glop in
this one pond. Actually I'm not even sure it's the soil in the lily
pots. We thought it might be runoff from the lawn but we fixed the berm
with reinforced concrete last spring, and the problem immediately
returned. That pond's filter matting is constantly clogging with this
dark green algae. The blocks themselves under the filter matting are
also loaded with this stuff.

Most of my lilies, however, are loose on the cement floor of the
pond.

Any good thoughts about fertilizing them? Or do I just assume
they will grab nutrients from the water?

Derek has no problem growing his lilies that way, but they didn't do
well for me at all unless potted and fertilized. If I want nice leaves
and flowers I have to grow them in pots with fertalizer. I'm going to
see how they do in the sandy gravel mix with fertilizer. I don't use a
whole spike per pot. I break them up and use a little more than half
the spike. These are the large size black plastic pond plant pots.

My water is hard and alkaline. I add Potassium to the water itself, and
nothing else.