Old 18-05-2007, 09:31 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Spunjez or Horn Wort?

Such a thing as a stealth heater is. It's a fluorescent lamp. Over
water other than distilled, and maybe even that if you expose it to
air, it inevitably leads to decay or metabolism, which yields heat.

In a sci.physics.* group, some guy once suggested that we put Iron
SesquiChloride in the ocean to encourage algae growth. I say you would
burn as much carbon processing it as you would sequester carbon, plus,
plain old rust floats right there on top, where you want it and at the
rate that it can be metabolized. Oodles of Chloride is already in the
ocean. Ferrate, I'm not sure about.

We can only estimate how much Iron blows into the ocean from deserts.

Last time I heard anything about global warming in person, someone
asked me why they should believe man has any control over it. The
Sun's not getting hotter at the same rate. No other being on Earth has
a footprint on vegetation visible from space.

I wonder where those subaquatic speakers came from. It seems to me
that my fish might enjoy going to hell with the right music.

As far as my hobby is going (Consumption. It contributes to global
warming, but I don't own a car.), I'm not sure that spunjez are as
good at controlling algae as Horn Wort. I just removed about two hands
ful (all of it) from my aquarium, because I want my Diatoms visible,
and I don't hav to rub anything off the front, either, so it also
inhibits (unseeded) moss. I'm not sure that the Diatoms aren't
associated with Java Moss or Carpet Moss that I'm also cultivating.

Removing the Horn Wort seems like a good move to increase Daphnia when
I get some. Keeping them out of my water filter is something I'm
working on before I get them. Direct filters on my water intake aren't
a good idea. They make it into a trickle filter, especially if I
aerate it. What I'm planning is seeding some stainless steel mesh with
carpet moss, backing that up with Nylon, and stuffing mineralized
Silica Gel (hydrated with custom vinegars and sediment) between them.
A better option than Nylon might be plastic pot scrubbers. I've
already found them to be good at removing sludge.

The intake filter will hav a lot of surface area compared with the
corrosion resistant pot scrubbers I'm using on the intake. The intake
is in the corner. The filter will make a triangle with the walls of my
aquarium. If the filter impedes flow too much, then the water level
will drop and make my filter trickle.

Putting dirty, smelly dish towels and spunjez in your microwave oven
to dry (that's about 1/2 power for half an hour per pound @ 700 Watts)
will probably make them smell like baking. It won't sterilize them,
but it will disinfect them.

As far as ressurrecting a dead spunj goes, currently, I hav three
previously live spunjez in my aquarium. The water from my filter is
falling on the big one. The medium one is in my filter, with the old
synthetic one embedded. They're both turning black, but I hav no
reason to believe that this is decomposition or necrosis. It is
deposition of sludge, rich in Chrome, Iron, Zinc, and Copper (because
of pot-scrubbers).

Nickel is an unfortunate inclusion (in stainless steel), but I'll deal
with that later.

A sentence in wikipedia on spunjez suggests that sponges be grouped
into "silicious" (silica-based) and calciferous (coral based). I tend
to think that a variety of sponge might look more like a fungus when
it's growing in sand and more like a sponge when it's growing on
aragonite. Maybe the Morel mushroom is also a species of sponge.

I've seen spunjez that look suspiciously like Portabellas, too.

Three things are going for this theory. One is smell at pasteurization
temperature.
Another is other is appearance. A third is the lack of locomotion. A
fourth might be biochemical control of the environment, but as I
mentioned, that's also a property of plants. Wormwood is good for
controlling vermiculture.
_______
Now you know a good reason for me to call it a href="http://ecn.ab.ca/
~brewhaha/"BrewJay's Babble Bin/a