Old 01-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Jack In The Thundersley

Default HYpericum~St Johns Wort~ Identification

Dear All,
Am a new gardener having inherited a beautiful garden and this
will be the first of many posts i'm sure.
I have a large bush which is tagged Hypericum, is this St Johns Wort or are
there varities of Hypericum? It is a large bush
about 2 metres high and wide.
I assumed StJohns Wort to be a smallish herb? I have some herbs one of which
I thought was StJohns Wort, it has 5 petalled flowers though its stems
branch like a buttercups, it does not have the perforations however like
i've read it should have. The large bush does... can anyone help?

Many Thanks..

Old 01-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Jack In The Thundersley" contains
these words:

Dear All,
Am a new gardener having inherited a beautiful garden and this
will be the first of many posts i'm sure.
I have a large bush which is tagged Hypericum, is this St Johns Wort or are
there varities of Hypericum? It is a large bush
about 2 metres high and wide.
I assumed StJohns Wort to be a smallish herb? I have some herbs one of which
I thought was StJohns Wort, it has 5 petalled flowers though its stems
branch like a buttercups, it does not have the perforations however like
i've read it should have. The large bush does... can anyone help?

Hypericon is the genus. There are several cultivated varieties: the one
you have sounds like H. androsæmum or H. inodorum.

A low ground-covering relative is Rose of Sharon, H. calycinum.

Wild things:

The St. John's wort you have described is H. perforatum, which grows in
clumps of upright stems with small yellow five-petalled star-shaped
flowers. (About 12" - 18")

Also: Beautiful St. John's Wort; Bog St. John's Wort; Creeping St.
John's Wort; Hairy St. John's Wort; Mountain St. John's Wort;
Narrow-leaved St. John's Wort; Square-stalked St. John's Wort; Wavy St.
John's Wort; and a few others which don't seem to have common names, and
one or two more which are hybrids of others.

--
Rusty
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who read binary and
Old 01-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Brian

"Jack In The Thundersley" wrote in message
Dear All,
Am a new gardener having inherited a beautiful garden and

this
will be the first of many posts i'm sure.
I have a large bush which is tagged Hypericum, is this St Johns Wort or

are
there varities of Hypericum? It is a large bush
about 2 metres high and wide.
I assumed StJohns Wort to be a smallish herb? I have some herbs one of

which
I thought was StJohns Wort, it has 5 petalled flowers though its stems
branch like a buttercups, it does not have the perforations however like
i've read it should have. The large bush does... can anyone help?

Many Thanks..

Hypericums were known as 'St.John's wort' though the tendency now is to
use the generic name 'Hypericum'. 'St. John's wort' tends to be used for
the smaller and wild species.
Another common name for the large flowered creeping species is 'Rose of
Sharon'[UK only]H.calycinum.
The plant you saw should have had more information on the label but is
quite likely a variety of H. patulum~ 'Hidcote'? Though it's a little early.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:15 AM
Emrys Davies

As Brian suggested, it is more than probable that you have Hypericum
Hidcote, which is shown on this site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ages/403.shtml

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Steve Harris

Do the leaves smell?

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Old 02-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Jack In The Thundersley
writes
Dear All,
Am a new gardener having inherited a beautiful garden and this
will be the first of many posts i'm sure.
I have a large bush which is tagged Hypericum, is this St Johns Wort or are
there varities of Hypericum? It is a large bush
about 2 metres high and wide.
I assumed StJohns Wort to be a smallish herb? I have some herbs one of which
I thought was StJohns Wort, it has 5 petalled flowers though its stems
branch like a buttercups, it does not have the perforations however like
i've read it should have. The large bush does... can anyone help?

The botanical (latin) names of plants are assigned to reflect the way we
think they have descended from a common ancestor and indicate
relationships between plants. Hypericum is a genus name - within
Hypericum there are many different species, including Perforate St
John's Wort (H perforatum), Hairy SJW (H hirsutum) and similar small
native species all called St John's Wort. There's also Tutsan (H
androsaemum) which is bushy, and Rose of Sharon (H calycinum) which has
huge flowers ... your bush Hypericum may be one of these two.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 03-06-2004, 07:30 PM
Jack In The Thundersley

Hallo All

The big bush certainly looks like the one in the picture. Does
this have the hypericum oils like St Johns Wort I wonder. I ask because
apparently you can get dermatitis?.
In answer to Steve Harris questions, yes the leaves do smell, almost a nutty
citrus smell, gorgeous.
Still not sure about the little ones though, the leaves do not smell nor
are they perforated but they pop up all over the garden, out of the
hedgerows and in fence panneling etc. They're not a nuisance as I quite like
them.. I have turned over a large section of my garden for native
wildflowers and though they do not prliferate there amongst the cornflowers
etc I bet that's where the little blighters began.
Am in the process of photographing the garden so one day I can link to
these questions.
Many thanks for your answers and as I said earlier, I'm a newbie and have
hundreds of questions. Am trying to find a horticultural club in this part
of Essex without success...never mind.

Old 03-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Brian

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
Do the leaves smell?

Only if they have noses! It's a funny old language~~ we seem to lack a
suitable verb.
Best Wishes Brian

Hypericum Key tgdye Plant Science 0 12-09-2006 01:18 AM
Hypericum hybrid? Raphanus Plant Science 0 15-08-2006 11:38 PM
St Johns Wart Question Mud Ponds 1 17-06-2005 10:09 PM
HYpericum~St Johns Wort~ Identification Jack In The Thundersley United Kingdom 0 01-06-2004 09:18 PM
Hypericum hidcote Nuno Barros United Kingdom 3 14-03-2003 01:32 PM