Old 07-07-2007, 12:10 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Fry........

Reel McKoi
They have a tablet that you can dropin the bagged fish and it creates
O2. I have seen it used down on the coast for bait fish, and I do
remember it stated for freshwater or sal****er....Also a couple of
shots of Amquel or Stress coat in the bag, use a small hand pump or
such (not an air compressor that has oil in its crankcase) to inflate
the bag, do not use your own breath/air.

I have just whats needed here, a concentrator I found along the
roadway. It is used for o2 supply for people..evidently it fell off a
vehicle or somehting, but it works like a champ and have had it
tested.....however you can get a small tank of O2 for very little
money and it goes a long way. If yu have a petco or petsmart talk to
their fish people and ask what they do with their foam boxes......Our
both stores here as well as the mom and pop LFS all throw them out. I
get a load of them all the time.....they come n handy for lots of
stuff. So that may be a source for foam insulated boxes. As for
bags, I use dunnage bags......they are super heavy duty and I double
or triple bag. I just asked my wife to grab some at work as they use
them for dunnage in the trailers.......and they are almost bust proof.
Securing them is harder but can be done with a little practice. I use
a elastrator (used to castrate male livestock by way of small hevy
duty rubber bands.......and this is how a lot of vendors close their
bags up. Another is get a box of #1 or 2 hog rings at the local farm
and feed store, twist bags up tight, and use a hog ring or two on the
bags twisted end squeezed closed with a regular pair of pliers. Works
just fine. I really do not ship any fish much anymore since I quit
farming out tropicals and wakins.......One thing I had going for me is
I am only a hop skip and jump from airport, but I still relied on Fed
EX to ship them......and since they are open 24/7 they used to tell me
when to have them there so they would make the load to the airport
with little laying around. In the few years I shipped fish I had
relatively few problems......On average its gonna be about 25-35 bucks
for a box of fish, be it one fish or 100 fry......Koiphen.com has a
few good articles on shipping fish.....

Old 07-07-2007, 01:00 AM posted to rec.ponds

"A. Paul Ing" wrote in message
Reel McKoi
They have a tablet that you can dropin the bagged fish and it creates
O2. I have seen it used down on the coast for bait fish, and I do
remember it stated for freshwater or sal****er....Also a couple of
shots of Amquel or Stress coat in the bag, use a small hand pump or
such (not an air compressor that has oil in its crankcase) to inflate
the bag, do not use your own breath/air.

Thanks,... but see what I mean about not having anything to ship them
correctly? We don't want to get into shipping the fish because it's just
not worth it. I'd have to buy the bags, a compresser or hand pump, the
Amquel, the hog ties, scrounge up boxes, have them ready... etc.

[...]

I'm going to try and avoid shipping at all costs. I'm just not set up for
it and I'm already feeling overwhelmed taking care of all these fish. I just
noticed there are about 50 more new fry in one of the holding tanks behind
the house. What I believed to be two females was a pair. It's starting to
become a full time job instead of a pleasurable hobby now that this area is
getting saturated. The original guy who was going to take them all had to
back down because he wasn't selling what he already had as fast as he
expected. I was lucky the two other stores took most, but not all of them.
In the past few years the stores snapped them up as fast as I had them up to
size (3 to 5"). And it was like everyone I knew had a cousin or brother
who wanted to buy a few pond fish from us. But it seems that now everyone
else is having a koi baby-boom and the market will only absorb so many. If
shipping is the only answer I think I have to start looking to sell or give
away the adults.....

BTW. I was stiffed twice on pond plants I sent to people I met on this NG
years ago. Of three boxes I sent, only one person paid me for S&H - so I
stopped shipping plants.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:24 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 19:00:45 -0500, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

"A. Paul Ing" wrote in message
m...
snip

[...]

I can see the shying away from shipping fish if piossible. So, with
that in mind, I thiink its itme to break out the shovels ;-) for some
more ponds!

I have shipped a heap of plants already, using those foam boxes for
themost part or wet packed newspaper and the USPS Priority mail boxes.
Have yet to be stiffed,....some were slow to pay or send the trade
plants, but eventually they all came through.I bet I shipped 50+
pounds of parrots feather and probablyt as much duckweed......just
last year......This year however I think I pretty well have 99.99% of
my parrots feather under control.....and its down to a very very small
patch of approx 2 feet by 2 feet square

How about a predator fish, that would help with spawns such. HOwever
with the fry size now it would have ot be a sizeable
fish.......however just spawned fry orfs or even a single warmouth or
bream would do wonders....

Regards

Old 08-07-2007, 11:52 PM posted to rec.ponds

"A. Paul Ing" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 19:00:45 -0500, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

"A. Paul Ing" wrote in message
m...
snip

[...]

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I have 2 inground and 3 above ground ponds now! :-O
That's not including the 3 barrels and 3 150g kiddy pools. I'm "drowning"
in ponds, pools and fish. I must find a way to stop the spawning.

I have shipped a heap of plants already, using those foam boxes for
themost part or wet packed newspaper and the USPS Priority mail boxes.
Have yet to be stiffed,....some were slow to pay or send the trade
plants, but eventually they all came through.I bet I shipped 50+
pounds of parrots feather and probablyt as much duckweed......just
last year......This year however I think I pretty well have 99.99% of
my parrots feather under control.....and its down to a very very small
patch of approx 2 feet by 2 feet square

You're lucky! I got the dead-beats. For some reason my parrots
feather isn't doing as well this year. It may be the heat we're suffering
here - in the 90s every day and very high humidity. It's shorter and
growing more slowly than usual.

How about a predator fish, that would help with spawns such. HOwever
with the fry size now it would have ot be a sizeable
fish.......however just spawned fry orfs or even a single warmouth or
bream would do wonders....

What about rosy reds? I can get them here easily. I noticed there are no
goldfish fry in the small inground 150g pool. There are several rosy reds
in with the GF. I haven't seen orfs in years. I think it's illegal here
to keep bream in private ponds... never heard of warmouths.

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:46 AM posted to rec.ponds

Warmouhts are in the bream/ sunfish family. They get thicker in body
and more chunky than typical bream and sunnies do. They have a
horrific appetite too, and they seem to thiunk they are more of a
large mouth bass than a bream. Its easy to tell bream and warmouths
apart in regards to sex, so you could easily keep a few females or
males and not worry about them spawing. I know warmouths do just fine
as a solitary fish as well and would be surprised if there was not
any in Tennesee waters. You can easily check with the fish and game
depatment and see if its legal to have them in a private small
"contained" pond, for use as "fry control". Would seem very weird for
a southern state not to allow possession of bream etc for use in a
private pond, as the southern states are notorious for small private
ponds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warmouth

Parrots feather does not like heat without ample doses of rain or dew
etc. It loves high humidity though, and it really likes those mornings
it gets dew on it....and it does seem to appreciate some period of
shade in the late afternoon. High temps and little rain makes it grow
extremely slow and it appears to be anemic and pale green and not as
feathery.

I do not know about rosy reds at all......How about a oscar. put it in
the pond during spawning season and remove it once it gets too cool.
That definately would control spawns!

I would be looking for a warmouth in each pond....

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 17:52:26 -0500, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

"A. Paul Ing" wrote in message
m...
On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 19:00:45 -0500, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

"A. Paul Ing" wrote in message
m...
snip