Old 22-04-2003, 11:56 PM

Default for the birds

I am sitting on my front porch steps in the middle of the densely packed city and
watch an opossum going back and forth across the street. .. Ingrid
Old 23-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:16:31 -0500, MLF wrote:

I hope you're
old enough to remember robins and jays and cardinals and
mockingbirds and other such - they're becoming more and more rare
and will never make a comeback as long as the grackles are here.

Michael Fermanis

They haven't shown up around here yet, still have all those others.
Nedra, don't send them over! I guess I'd better get my BB gun primed
up.

Cybe R. Wizard

--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
Old 23-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Nedra

MLF ... These guys aren't starlings ... at least not the ugly
starlings we have around here. The Grackles have a tail
assembly that looks exactly like an F-4 Phantom jet! And
they are a shiny coal black with the deep blue head. None
of the so ugly starlings have these characteristics.

I WILL get them to move on though... you can bet on it ;-)

Nedra

"MLF" wrote in message

"Nedra" wrote:
MLF, You paint a terrible picture for me! I have seen just a
few Grackles over the years, but this year they seem to have
taken over. Does this mean the indigenous birds have literally
taken flight? Cardinals, Mockers, Blue Jays, and such -
does this mean they are gone for good?

Grackles (starlings) were introduced from England in 1890 into New York

City
by a complete moron named Eugene Schieffelin who wanted to introduce into
America all the birds mentioned in Shakespeare's works.

Since then, they have spread to all 50 states. They can lay 4-7 eggs twice

year, so they multiply like rabbits. Starlings also compete with native
cavity-nesting birds such as bluebirds, flickers, woodpeckers, purple
martins, bluebirds, and wood ducks for nest sites. One report showed that,
where nest cavities were limited, starlings had severe impacts on other
local native cavity-nesting species.

So sadly, I think I'm right when I say that the birds of your youth may be
few and far between from now on. Startlings collect in enormous flocks,
spread disease, and drive away other birds.

For a good explanation of the effect of this introduced species , have a
look at:

http://www.sewanee.edu/biology/cours...ntroduced.html

http://wildlifedamage.unl.edu/handbo...F/bir_e109.pdf

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Old 23-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Nedra

Not to worry Cybe. I wouldn't wish these birds on my worst
enemy

Nedra

newsan.2003.04.22.18.05.42.828671.11529@WizardsT ower...

Old 23-04-2003, 03:20 AM
jammer

Cool....

Old 23-04-2003, 05:20 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
I'm sitting here at my keyboard and gazed out the window.
A wild turkey just walked by - it seems they are becoming
quite common after being released in the area a few years
ago.

=======================
We're over run with them here in TN. They're actually becoming a danger to
drivers and motorcycle riders.
--
Carol.......
"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all

Old 23-04-2003, 05:20 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Nedra" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
I'm over run with Grackles this year. They have chased away
all the smaller birds like cardinals, mockingbirds, etc. They
have nested in three trees and the wild grape vine

Anyone have any idea how I can get rid of these stinkers?

==============================
They're a protected bird so you can't legally do anything to harm them or
their eggs and babies.

Old 23-04-2003, 05:20 AM
~ Windsong ~

"MLF" wrote in message

Grackles (starlings) were introduced from England in 1890 into New York

City
by a complete moron named Eugene Schieffelin who wanted to introduce into
America all the birds mentioned in Shakespeare's works.

==================
Grackles are larger than starlings and more aggressive. They're a native
bird here.

Old 23-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Nedra

Windsong/Carol !!! Hey it is so good to hear from you.
How's your pond?

Nedra

Old 23-04-2003, 03:56 PM
REBEL JOE

we could all start shooting them

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 24-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Jerrispond

we could all start shooting them

I am holding out hope for a more permanent solution

LOL I can't think of anything more "permanent" then shooting something
Jerri

Old 24-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Bill

"Jerrispond" wrote in message
we could all start shooting them

I am holding out hope for a more permanent solution

LOL I can't think of anything more "permanent" then shooting something
Jerri

They breed faster than we could possibly shoot.

---

Old 24-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 20:11:19 -0500, Jerrispond wrote:

we could all start shooting them

I am holding out hope for a more permanent solution

LOL I can't think of anything more "permanent" then shooting
something Jerri

Tried it with roaches. There're (is that a word?) a million more
where those came from and I ain't got that many shells.

;-]

Seriously, shooting's only going to get the random individual. If
there is a large enough population out there breeding we'll never get
rid of them all.
Aimable virii seem to be the latest flawed thinking. Happily there is
a 'possible' solution!

I think it was Bob Heinlein who said in order to get rid of rats we
only need to interest humanity in them as food...
Should work for grackles, too.
I can see it now...
Snap, Grackle, Pop! every morning!

Cybe R. Wizard

Old 24-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Bill

"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote :

I think it was Bob Heinlein who said in order to get rid of rats we
only need to interest humanity in them as food...

Mr. Heinlein apparently didn't learn the lesson of the Great Buffalo
Unextinction. We have ever expanding herds because of their nuevo-commercial
value.

See: http://www.lamontbuffalo.com/index.html

I can see Rat and Grackle farms springing up all over western Tn. and
southern Mn.

---

Old 24-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:59:45 -0500, Bill wrote:

"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote :

I think it was Bob Heinlein who said in order to get rid of rats we
only need to interest humanity in them as food...

Mr. Heinlein apparently didn't learn the lesson of the Great
Buffalo
Unextinction. We have ever expanding herds because of their
nuevo-commercial value.

See: http://www.lamontbuffalo.com/index.html

One of the finest examples of re-introduction of an almost extinct
species! A real tribute to our commiitment to the environment.
Another is the re-introduction of the Peregrin(e) falcon here in
Missouri.

I can see Rat and Grackle farms springing up all over western
Tn. and
southern Mn.

At least they wouldn't be craping in our ponds! BTW, I've noticed that
the buffalo don't, either. Does that have anything to do with their
new commercial value? ;-}

Cybe R. Wizard