Old 22-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default for the birds

I'm sitting here at my keyboard and gazed out the window.
A wild turkey just walked by - it seems they are becoming
quite common after being released in the area a few years
ago.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 22-04-2003, 06:20 PM
John Rutz

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:
I'm sitting here at my keyboard and gazed out the window.
A wild turkey just walked by - it seems they are becoming
quite common after being released in the area a few years
ago.

--

oh man How Cool and all I get is sparows finches and quail

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico
If it can't be fixed with bailing wire or duct tape
its not worth fixing

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 22-04-2003, 07:32 PM
K30a

Yo! Turkey! Gobble!

Some goldfinches are here today and
snarfing down on thistle seed.

k30a
Old 22-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Nedra

I'm over run with Grackles this year. They have chased away
all the smaller birds like cardinals, mockingbirds, etc. They
have nested in three trees and the wild grape vine

Anyone have any idea how I can get rid of these stinkers?

Nedra

Old 22-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

K30a wrote:
Yo! Turkey! Gobble!

Some goldfinches are here today and
snarfing down on thistle seed.

k30a

We have goldfinches year round. They can easily empty a
thistle feeder in one day. This time of year they are just
turning the bright yellow, in winter they are olive green.

Old 22-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Nedra wrote:
I'm over run with Grackles this year. They have chased away
all the smaller birds like cardinals, mockingbirds, etc. They
have nested in three trees and the wild grape vine

Anyone have any idea how I can get rid of these stinkers?

Nedra

I enjoy running out the door yelling "GRACKLES BE GONE!"

Old 22-04-2003, 10:20 PM
MLF

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote:
Anyone have any idea how I can get rid of these stinkers?

I enjoy running out the door yelling "GRACKLES BE GONE!"

Bonnie:

Unfortunately, yelling is about all you can do. They have displaced nearly
every other bird and won't ever, ever, EVER go away. They're a good (or bad)
example of an introduced species that muscled in on the existing ecosystem
and expelled every competing species. I hope you're old enough to remember
robins and jays and cardinals and mockingbirds and other such - they're
becoming more and more rare and will never make a comeback as long as the
grackles are here.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Old 22-04-2003, 10:32 PM
John Rutz

MLF wrote:
"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote:

Anyone have any idea how I can get rid of these stinkers?

I enjoy running out the door yelling "GRACKLES BE GONE!"

Bonnie:

Unfortunately, yelling is about all you can do. They have displaced nearly
every other bird and won't ever, ever, EVER go away. They're a good (or bad)
example of an introduced species that muscled in on the existing ecosystem
and expelled every competing species. I hope you're old enough to remember
robins and jays and cardinals and mockingbirds and other such - they're
becoming more and more rare and will never make a comeback as long as the
grackles are here.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

one of the joys of living inn a small town is you CAN do weird things
we had some grackles move into the trees near our truckstop several
years ago when my son was still working there they tried shotguns for
a month on the grackles we still have em even blowing them out of the
trees didnt work----
I hope you can find out somthing to rid yourself of them they are a real
pain

Old 22-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Jerrispond

I'm sitting here at my keyboard and gazed out the window.A wild turkey just
walked by - it seems they are becoming
quite common after being released in the area a few yearsago.

That's nothing....our easter dinner was interupted by the biggest most
beautiful male peacock I have ever seen. We have a few wild ones in town, but
we are several miles from there....He was fanning his tail so I guess there
must have been a hen nearby, but we didn't see it. Jerri

Old 22-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Nedra

MLF, You paint a terrible picture for me! I have seen just a
few Grackles over the years, but this year they seem to have
taken over. Does this mean the indigenous birds have literally
taken flight? Cardinals, Mockers, Blue Jays, and such -
does this mean they are gone for good?
Nedra

Old 22-04-2003, 10:56 PM
MLF

"Nedra" wrote:
MLF, You paint a terrible picture for me! I have seen just a
few Grackles over the years, but this year they seem to have
taken over. Does this mean the indigenous birds have literally
taken flight? Cardinals, Mockers, Blue Jays, and such -
does this mean they are gone for good?

Grackles (starlings) were introduced from England in 1890 into New York City
by a complete moron named Eugene Schieffelin who wanted to introduce into
America all the birds mentioned in Shakespeare's works.

Since then, they have spread to all 50 states. They can lay 4-7 eggs twice a
year, so they multiply like rabbits. Starlings also compete with native
cavity-nesting birds such as bluebirds, flickers, woodpeckers, purple
martins, bluebirds, and wood ducks for nest sites. One report showed that,
where nest cavities were limited, starlings had severe impacts on other
local native cavity-nesting species.

So sadly, I think I'm right when I say that the birds of your youth may be
few and far between from now on. Startlings collect in enormous flocks,
spread disease, and drive away other birds.

For a good explanation of the effect of this introduced species , have a
look at:

http://www.sewanee.edu/biology/cours...ntroduced.html

http://wildlifedamage.unl.edu/handbo...F/bir_e109.pdf

Old 22-04-2003, 11:08 PM
jammer

Not without getting rid of everything else. Do they roost in a tree
there? I got rid of my friend's problem grackles with a sports horn!

Old 22-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

MLF wrote:
"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote:

Anyone have any idea how I can get rid of these stinkers?

I enjoy running out the door yelling "GRACKLES BE GONE!"

Bonnie:

Unfortunately, yelling is about all you can do. They have displaced nearly
every other bird and won't ever, ever, EVER go away. They're a good (or bad)
example of an introduced species that muscled in on the existing ecosystem
and expelled every competing species. I hope you're old enough to remember
robins and jays and cardinals and mockingbirds and other such - they're
becoming more and more rare and will never make a comeback as long as the
grackles are here.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Hi Michael,

I don't have to be very old to see any of the above
mentioned birds, they are in my yard daily. Robins
rule the backyard and the mockingbirds have the front.
They barely tolerate each other. There are two nesting
pairs of cardinals that have been around for several
years. Bluebirds have become a very welcome visitors.
I also have an assortment of sparrows, brown wrens,
tufted titmouse, chickadees, morning doves, house finch,
flickers, downy woodpeckers, red bellied woodpecker and
juncos are here daily.
Many other types visit occasionally. Come summer the
varieties change but all are abundant. I have a feeders
for many types of birds and shrubs and plants specifically
put in to lure the birds.

Old 22-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Jerrispond wrote:
I'm sitting here at my keyboard and gazed out the window.A wild turkey just

walked by - it seems they are becoming

quite common after being released in the area a few yearsago.

That's nothing....our easter dinner was interupted by the biggest most
beautiful male peacock I have ever seen. We have a few wild ones in town, but
we are several miles from there....He was fanning his tail so I guess there
must have been a hen nearby, but we didn't see it. Jerri

I would have enjoyed that, not to many of them around here.