Old 28-04-2003, 08:44 PM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

Default Water lettuce and hyacinth's

I am in Zone 6 and just curious if I can start putting this in my plant
filter??

Sacha
Old 28-04-2003, 09:44 PM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

In article , "ronm"
writes:

I'm in zone 6 too. Still too early for these plants unless you can protect
them from potential frost.

I have aq 30 gallon long turtle tank with red sliders baby's. Can't I put them
in there until the temps get higher??

Sacha
Old 28-04-2003, 09:44 PM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

In article , "ronm"
writes:

I'm in zone 6 too. Still too early for these plants unless you can protect
them from potential frost.

They is not going to no more frost.. The lowest temp is like mid 40's. But this
week the temps are from high 40's to 50 at night and 60+ during the day. I
think the cold snap is gone.

Sacha
Old 01-05-2003, 05:09 PM
~ jan

A very good rule of thumb for tender plants in any cooler zone is
- Maples in full leaf
- Oak leaves the size of mouse ears
Nature messes up every few decades, but these indicators are very accurate
factoring in local conditions. When the above happens, no more frosts.
gerry

Really? I think my Maple is in full leaf, the helicopter seeds are already
dropping. I'll have to check the neighbors oak on my walk tomorrow. ~ jan
)

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 02-05-2003, 01:32 PM
gerry

On Fri, 02 May 2003 08:23:46 -0400, gerry wrote:

Maples have a fair sugar content until they are in full leaf, acts like
anti-freeze. Oak leaves can tolerate any frost.

That should be:

Oak leaves can't tolerate any frost.

gerry

--