Old 29-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default GFCI Outlet

Chrissy wrote:
I was wondering what any of you use for your outdoor ponds. I just got a
quote fro $300 to install a GFCI outlet and an outlet near the pond. He
said that was necessary and that it would be illegal for them to run an
extension cord from the main outlet over to the pond.

What have you done?

Can I just get a GFCI extension cord, and run it from our outside outlets?

Thanks for your help.

Chrissy
remove nospam_

My DH put on in for me :-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 30-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Ian

I just lay my electrical for the pond. Until now, have been running an
extension cord(less than a year old pond).

- Installing a GFCI is pretty much as easy as installing a normal outlet.
The instructions are usually very clear.

- You may want to check your local codes, but you don't need to lay piping
to run the electrical, just use NMWU 14/2 direct burial cable. The only time
NMWU needs to be in piping is if it goes under high traffic areas, such as
walkways or an area where cars may drive over. You do want to use pvc piping
when the cable comes up from the ground on both sides of the run. That is
usually nothing more than an elbow and a small amount of straight(I used
flexible) piping.

"Chrissy" wrote in message
.net...
I dont mind the manual labor part of it, seeing as hubby just helped me

with
digging the hole for the pond

I did manage to find an outlet cover today at Home Depot hubby said he

would
spray paint the line for me to dig the trench to put the piping in. I've
found some of our DIY books on how to do the wiring and such so I'm glad
about that. Hubby feels more confident now than he was before. I guess

he
was mainly concerned with our kids or the neighborhood kids playing with

the
plugs as well. So this will prevent that, he's going to install an outlet
near the pond like what you did with your set up. Thanks so much for
showing the pics of how you did your outlets. I love your pond.

Thank you for your help.

Chrissy
remove nospam_ to email me

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message
I just did one this weekend. It was pretty easy. I guess it depends on
how much you detest manual labor if it's worth paying $300 for one.

Looking at my receipt, here's how it broke down

Outlet Kit: $25, was in the outdoor lighting section at Sears. Comes
with the GFCI outlet, box and cover.

25 ft. electrical cord

PVC cement $3.60

4 1/2"x12 ft PVC conduits $5 (shockingly cheap)

Various PVC fittings: $5

Total $55

Here's a few pics

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/outlet1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/outlet2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/outlet3.jpg
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/outlet4.jpg

Remember to run the wire through before you glue all the sections

together.

Old 30-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Thomas Ball

Hate to disagree with you....

But that is the beauty of a GFI it does not need a ground (coming in or
going out)

(They can be used to provide protection in homes that have wiring without
ground)

It watches what goes out on the black wire and compares what comes back on
the white. If there is a "leak" in any of the wiring (a fault to ground) it
"pulls the plug".

The only issue may be how are you alerted if it trips? (e.g.. a heavy rain
storm gets the plugs wetter then usual)
It would be good to have some alarm that your entire pond has just shut
down?

Tom

"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote in message
newsan.2003.04.30.09.23.10.793541.2593@WizardsTo wer...
On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 06:39:17 -0500, Ian wrote:

just use NMWU 14/2 direct burial cable.

Please use 12/2 WG (with ground). 14/2 will produce too much heat
and possibly burn out if you have a pump pluggage (is that a word?)
Of course, if you don't use WG wiring the GFCI won't work at all.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.

Old 01-05-2003, 01:56 AM
David Pochron

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
I think there is a requirement for wire without conduit to be a minimum of
18 inches deep for burial, while with conduit, you can get by with a
shallower trench since it is not as likely to be cut buy shovels or other
hand tools.

Which is one of the reasons why conduit (either metal or PVC) is the only way
to go. :-) Plus, it's convenient to be able to add an additional wire at a
later date and not have to dig another trench. :-)

When I lived in S. Florida in the 70's I think the requirement was something
like only 6 or 7 inches for conduit.

--
David Pochron

Old 02-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Andrew Burgess

I have a GFCI that regularly trips but I have not been able to find
any fault( !) with the wiring.

Might be a defective GFCI. It happens, called a nusience (sp) trip.

Old 02-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Andrew Burgess

12/2 UF (underground feeder) cable is the thing to use, it has two main
conductors (black/white) plus a smaller ground wire (bare or green).
This looks like the stuff usually known as Romex, but is meant for
ground burial and weather resistance.

You should run some red plastic tape, in the trench above the wire, so
that someone can notice BEFORE they dig into the cable with a shovel.

Any chance of that and you should use conduit.

Old 02-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Thu, 01 May 2003 18:30:42 -0500, joe wrote:

but if
there is no ground there is no point in putting in a GFCI)

You must not have read the rebuttal to my post to this subject
yesterday. A GFCI /will/ work on an old two wire system.
Hoping you don't fool as feelish as I did, I am

Cybe R. Wizard
Old 03-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 06:39:17 -0500, Ian wrote:

just use NMWU 14/2 direct burial cable.

Please use 12/2 WG (with ground). 14/2 will produce too much heat
and possibly burn out if you have a pump pluggage (is that a word?)
Of course, if you don't use WG wiring the GFCI won't work at all.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
"Wize(ned) Wizard," A.P.F-P-Y.
Barely Tolerated Wizard, A.J.L & A.A.L

Metal halide lights trip GFCI all of a sudden MAG Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 26-08-2005 02:51 PM
Waterbutt With Overflow Outlet - Obtainable / Micko United Kingdom 5 25-02-2005 04:28 PM
yeast co2 outlet into venturi? Joe Sipley Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 03-07-2004 02:03 PM
GFCI recall J.D. Stone Ponds 0 12-09-2003 12:51 AM
GFCI recall J.D. Stone Ponds 0 12-09-2003 12:50 AM