Old 25-02-2003, 06:22 PM
BenignVanilla

Default What Kind of Pump?

What kind of pumps are you guys/gals using? Submerged? Non-submerged? Etc.
What are the pro's and con's of each? My plan has always been to use a
submerged pump, but I want to be sure...Gettin' ready to start buying my
gear.

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

Old 25-02-2003, 08:53 PM
RichToyBox

I have two submersible pumps in my small pond, and an external pump for my
large pond. The volume of water to be moved is the thing that I think
dictates the type of pump. Most of the submersibles are small pumps. Most
of the externals are large pumps. There are some submersible sump pumps
that have high volumes, but I think they all draw large amounts of
electricity. Some of the smaller submersible pumps can be mounted outside
the pond directly in the pipe return line, while others would burn up if not
kept submerged. Start with the gallons you want to pump, calculate friction
and head values, and see which works best for your pond.
--
RichToyBox

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

Old 26-02-2003, 03:39 AM
Steve J. Noll

Non-submerged Performance Pro Cascade C1/4-44, 1/4HP, 4400 GPH @ 10'
head, 2.51 Amps.

The power the pump draws may be your single biggest operating expense.
Every fraction of an amp saved counts (unless your electricity is
really cheap.)

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:13:06 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

What kind of pumps are you guys/gals using? Submerged? Non-submerged? Etc.
What are the pro's and con's of each? My plan has always been to use a
submerged pump, but I want to be sure...Gettin' ready to start buying my
gear.
--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (zone 10)
Old 26-02-2003, 04:39 AM
Dan

BA, I've got a small preformed pond, 300g, and I'm using a Pondmaster
1200 in the pond with a prefilter, have to clean it weekly during the
season, feeding a bio/mechanical filter into a waterfall. Nice burbely
type noise, turns the water lots and the fish like it. Made 3 batches
of fry the 1st year. No problems yet. but it's been off since
November.

Dan

Old 26-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
What kind of pumps are you guys/gals using? Submerged? Non-submerged? Etc.
What are the pro's and con's of each? My plan has always been to use a
submerged pump, but I want to be sure...Gettin' ready to start buying my
gear.

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com
x-no-archive: yes

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

I have Supreme Mag Drive pumps, five of them. Submerged,
inexpensive to buy and also to run. The prefilter
sponge is a waste - just remove it and put the pump into
a slotted basket filled with bio-balls or lava rock, placed
in a laundry bag.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 04-03-2003, 03:27 AM
~ jan

I have submersibles, the con of a non-sub can be if it hums louder than the
waterfall, submersibles, being under water are silent. My waterfall could
probably cover the hum, but in my filter situation a submersible has worked
fine. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Air Pump what kind? G & K Meyer Ponds 10 23-11-2005 06:23 PM
Zone 6...To Pump or not to pump? BenignVanilla Ponds 6 10-03-2004 11:18 PM
Pool Pump Cover (was Swimming pool filter/pump question) Raymond Luxury-Yacht Lawns 0 15-05-2003 07:56 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Brian White sci.agriculture 24 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Oz sci.agriculture 13 18-02-2003 05:42 AM