Old 01-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Michael Shaffer

Default need help

I'm building a veggie filter and have a couple questions. I'm going to
have a 3" pipe near the surface of the main pond to gravity feed a
filter/box with the pump in it. The water will then be pumped up to the
VF and flow back into the main pond by gravity. My question is, the pump
I'm getting is 2800 GPH, and I'm not sure if that's too much since the
pump box will be gravity fed by only a 3" pipe at the surface.

Here's a few pics

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/vp1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/vp2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/vp3.jpg

Old 02-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Michael Shaffer

Do you think a 3" pipe will be enough? 3000GPH would be 50 gal a minute.
what size pipes have you all used?

Old 02-05-2003, 03:20 AM
John Rutz

Michael Shaffer wrote:

I'm building a veggie filter and have a couple questions. I'm going to
have a 3" pipe near the surface of the main pond to gravity feed a
filter/box with the pump in it. The water will then be pumped up to
the VF and flow back into the main pond by gravity. My question is,
the pump I'm getting is 2800 GPH, and I'm not sure if that's too much
since the pump box will be gravity fed by only a 3" pipe at the surface.

Here's a few pics

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/vp1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/vp2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/vp3.jpg

Im pumping 2400 gph through 2 in pipe but I'm going the other way ;-) so
the 3" might handle the flow

when I had my barrel filters up last summer i was pumping to them
through 1 1/4 pipe, I had 2 in bulkheads connecteng the barrels had to
go to 4 in to keep the barrels from overflowing
Just not sure if the flow you are looking for would keep up with the
pump, how much of a drop are we talking about from your pond to the pump
box? conversly can you get the fittings and connect the pump to the 3"
so you are drafting from the pond, that would definitly work
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 07-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Larry McDonald

Hi,

According to a fountain catalog I have, it should keep up, but the water
will rise about 2" over the pipe to do it. If your VF can stand the 2" rise
(and the pond can give that water), you should be fine.

Larry