Old 08-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Zeev Yelin

Default how to seal a KOI concrete pond and how to light it up

Hi,
my name is Zeev and I'm not even a newbie. I'm in the process of
building my first KOI pond. any comments will be much appreciated.

right now the status is that the concrete infrastructure is ready
(pond and filter housing abutted to it ( the filter housing will house
an immersed pump that will take its water from the surface and the
bottom and will be located between two filters a "skimmer" and a
"bottom feeder")

Now I was wondering how best to seal the poond I thought of plating it
with plaster ( which materials?, any plaster mix that will not harm
fish or plants, ).
Also what's your experience in instaling light sources inside the
pond or is it preferrable to light it from the exterior.
thx
Zeev
Old 08-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Sam Hopkins

Coat with 1/4" of thoroseal. It's at home depot. OR mix masonary (S TYPE)
cement with Behr acrylic and coat at 1/4" thick. Both available at Home
Depot. Both will limit the time you have to wait for your pond to get rid of
it's calcium hydroxide. Concrete is porus to 4-5" thick. If you're over 5"
you're probably fine.

Sam

om...

Old 09-05-2003, 12:08 AM
John Rutz

Sam Hopkins wrote:
Coat with 1/4" of thoroseal. It's at home depot. OR mix masonary (S TYPE)
cement with Behr acrylic and coat at 1/4" thick. Both available at Home
Depot. Both will limit the time you have to wait for your pond to get rid of
it's calcium hydroxide. Concrete is porus to 4-5" thick. If you're over 5"
you're probably fine.

Sam

I doubt they have home depot where zeev is

try to find a good concrete sealer and let it dry fully

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

before you criticise someone
walk a mile in thier shoes
that way when you criticise them
your a mile away and have thier shoes

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 12-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Sam Hopkins

Oh, sorry. If you can find masonry cement and any NON-diluted acylic
admixture you're all set. You'll know it's non-diluted if the instructions
tell you to mix it in equal parts (or 1/3 parts) with water.

Old 13-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Cindy

As far as lighting is concerned, I have an underwater light that is conected
to a low wattage landscape system. I believe I purchased it at lowes.

Cindy