Old 14-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Kevin Miller

Default Question about pond treatment - thanks!!

We just moved to a house where we share a 4 acre pond with a
few other houses. I'd like to plant some aquatic plants such as
Pontederia and Lily Pads.. This pond is "treated" for algae and such
and dyed a few times a year. Can I still grow some of these plants?
Thank you very much for the help!!!

Kevin Miller
Old 14-05-2003, 04:20 AM
GD

The dyes will not affect the plants you mention. What is used to
treat the algae, and at what rates?

Old 15-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Gregory Young

Aquashade/most aquatic dyes won't hurt marginals/lilies. They will deprive
the underwater plants of needed light, but won't kill them, only inhibit
them.
If they are using algaecides (simazine/aquazine, etc.) however, they will
hurt/kill the plants as they are herbicides. The amount of damage to the
plants will depend on actual dose the plants are exposed to, and duration of
exposure (as well as type of herbicide).
It would be nice to try to get together with all your neighbors, and
everyone agree to plant marginals, lilies, etc, and all agree to suspend
any/all use of the herbicides, which accumulate in the soil over the years.
That plus proper stocking of fish (maybe with sterile/triploid Israeli carp
who will cleanup a great variety of submerged growth), should lead to a
chemical free, balanced pond that will no longer need even the dyes.
I've been there and done that. It took a couple of years to balance, but now
we have chemical free ponds (2 one half acre ponds), surrounded by blooming
lilies, and marginals.
It will be worth the effort!
happy ponding,
Greg

Old 15-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Kevin Miller

Thanks for your help! I actually saw the guy who does the treatment
this morning out on the pond and he said I'd be alright as he said he
won't spray in the corner...

As far as your other suggestion, I wish I could... I'd rather have it
natural but with the old people around the pond that will NEVER
happen... it took all I could to stock the pond! Maybe as they move
to Florida or retirement homes and other people move in

On Wed, 14 May 2003 23:21:05 GMT, "Gregory Young"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old 15-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Gregory Young

Kevin: see my one comment below..
Greg

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message

Thanks for your help! I actually saw the guy who does the treatment
this morning out on the pond and he said I'd be alright as he said he
won't spray in the corner...

If he is adding herbicides to the water, it won't just stay in a corner.. it
will diffuse throughout the pond.
Do you know what he is using??

Old 16-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Kevin Miller

He didn't say and I didn't ask... It really seemed as though even if
he did spray whatever it was around my plants - they'd be o.k.