Old 14-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Sean R. Kerns

Default My disappearing Shubunkin - Help?

Hi,

I live in Cincinnati, OH, USA, and have a small backyard pond in my suburban
neighborhood here. I've had it for about 4 years, and one mystery has me
stumped.
I've been able to over-winter my fish with no problems, except that if I
have any Shubunkin in the pond in the fall, they're not there in the spring.
This has happened to me twice - last year, two Shubunkin vanished, and this
year, another vanished. Both times, all my other fish have still been there
in the spring, including goldfish ranging from very small to about 6 or 7
inches in length.
Usually, the pond gets a good coating of ice on it, but there's always a
good-sized hole in the middle, and when it looks like it'll be cold enough
that the hole might close up, I've kept it open with a heater.

I haven't noticed any large birds around, no raccoons or snakes. I have a
cat (de-clawed and too stupid to fish, and I'd have found the evidence at
least once, plus he'd never brave the water in the winter) and two large
dogs who take care of keeping most critters away from our fenced yard.

And again, it's only Shubunkin. Any ideas what might be happening here? Can
they not over-winter? I haven't ever found any carcasses. I'd like to buy
another Shubunkin, or two, but I hate to keep condemning them to some nether
dimension.

Thanks in advance,

Sean
Cincinnati, OH

Old 15-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Sean R. Kerns

Nobody? Am I the only one to have this problem? Maybe I have a neighborhood
thief who digs Shubunkin?

Sean

Old 15-05-2003, 09:08 PM
John Rutz

Nobody? Am I the only one to have this problem? Maybe I have a

neighborhood

thief who digs Shubunkin?

Sean

thats weird I had shubunkins and they overwintered fine I got rid of
them when I switched to all Koi

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com