Old 18-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Keith and Wendy Slonecker

Default "Sheet of water" waterfall design

I would like to re-work my slate rock waterfall into one that has a large
flat top and the water "sheets" off in a solid wall of water into the pond.
Does anyone have an inexpensive or creative design idea on this? Ive seen
them in the pond shops made out of a sheet of pre-formed hard plastic but
dont like the way that looks exactly. I just would like to try the different
sound and profile that I've seen on some large scale ponds/fountains.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any advice.
wendy in Oregon

Old 18-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Fringe Ryder

"Keith and Wendy Slonecker" sez:
I would like to re-work my slate rock waterfall into one that has a large
flat top and the water "sheets" off in a solid wall of water into the pond.
Does anyone have an inexpensive or creative design idea on this? Ive seen
them in the pond shops made out of a sheet of pre-formed hard plastic but
dont like the way that looks exactly. I just would like to try the different
sound and profile that I've seen on some large scale ponds/fountains.

It's pretty easy. The trick is to start with roughly the right shape on the
rock (slate) edge, and then tidy up the edge with some liner or plastic,
just where the water is. Even if it extends a few inches past the end of
the rock in some places, nobody will ever know because they see the rock
and they see the water; the plastic/liner are underneath.

Liner does work for this, as long as it's just barely over the edge. For a
foot or so you could get away with probably 3cm with 45mil liner.
Old 18-05-2003, 05:20 PM
joe

Keith and Wendy Slonecker wrote:

I would like to re-work my slate rock waterfall into one that has a large
flat top and the water "sheets" off in a solid wall of water into the pond.
Does anyone have an inexpensive or creative design idea on this? Ive seen
them in the pond shops made out of a sheet of pre-formed hard plastic but
dont like the way that looks exactly. I just would like to try the different
sound and profile that I've seen on some large scale ponds/fountains.

They use the plastic because you need a dead level and even lip to the fall.
If you could find a material that had those same two characteristics you
could achieve what you want. Perhaps take a grinder to the stone to make it
the same.

I've seen falls where a thin strip of transparent plastic was simply glued
(with silicone I believe) to the top of a falls. As long as there is water
going across the entire piece of plastic you wouldn't notice it was there.

Joe

Old 21-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

The slate has to be *absolutely* level left-to-right; there should be a very
slight dip forward, to the pond, rather than level. If it's level
forward/back, water has a tendancy to run backwards under the stone from the
lip (possible source of a water leak). The itsy-bitsy forward lean of the
rock ensures a good "shear" of the water off the rock lip.

Have fun!

Lee

Old 21-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Theo van Daele

To add:

Liner leftovers can do wonders when you want to force the water to go where
it doesn't seem to want to go :-)

A big flat rock, and some liner (and small rocks to hold it down) to
"force" the water to go over it can make the difference.

Theo

"Lee Brouillet" schreef in bericht