Old 21-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Sue Alexandre

Default Turtle ladder ideas?

Hi again.
Well, as thrilled as I am that the digging is over, the liner is laid, and
there's water in the turtle pond, I'm now seeing the things that I didn't
think through thoroughly enough. Actually this problem isn't terrible, but
does need a solution. I dug a donut shaped turtle pond, and the island in
the middle is elevated above the water level by 4 or 5 inches at some
points. Rather than have the turtle digging his claws into the liner
covering the island, I want to give him some ladders around the island. I
was thinking of using "Great Stuff" to attach some small rocks, but I don't
know how well it would stay on the perfectly vertical liner.... might just
slide off before it dries. Is there something else I can use to glue some
pebbles onto it with? Or do I buy a couple of parakeet ladders and somehow
attach them? I really don't like the idea of chicken wire.... any kind of
metal in ponds and on liners scares me. All suggestions are appreciated!
Sue

Old 21-05-2003, 12:32 AM
K30a

I used branches, one end on the island and then angled into the pond.

k30a
Old 21-05-2003, 12:32 AM
joe

Sue Alexandre wrote:

[...]

In our pond we have a large tree branch that is partially submerged. I'll
try to remember to email you a photo.

Joe

Old 21-05-2003, 06:44 AM
Sue Alexandre

Thanks for all the suggestions, and thank you, Joe, for the picture - what a
great natural home your turtle has! I have written all your ideas down
and will be heading to Home Depot in the morning. Amazing how a simple,
quick trip to the Depot always ends up with me buying all kinds of stuff I
didn't even know I needed til I saw it! LOL Wish me luck in ONLY buying
the items on my list.
Sue

Old 21-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

K30a wrote:
I used branches, one end on the island and then angled into the pond.

k30a

Kathy,
Do you have a fence surrounding your pond to keep the
turtles inside?

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 21-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Cleveland Ponder

I have a log against a pile of rocks in the middle for the turl=les to
climb out on. I just built a "turtle ramp" for the pond edge. I made
it from a piece of pressure treated plywood. I cut one piece 8" x 9"
and a second piece 8" x 18". I fastened the two pieces together with
a brass hinge. On the hinge side of end of the longer piece I
fastened an 8" long piece of 2"x2". This provides some bouyancy, but
not enough for a racoon or skunk. I also fastened 1" strips across
the width with a 1" spacing to help provide something for their feet
to grip. The short end is placed on the pond edge and weighted with a
rock. The long end hangs in the water free to float up & down with
the water level.

Old 21-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Sue Alexandre

Wow, I"m so glad to read that I am not the only one who spends a lot of time
and effort on coming up with "just the right thing" for my pets. My family
and friends are convinced I am nuts, because I will obsess and wear myself
out trying to perfect something for my critters, but now I know I'm not the
crazy one.... they are. I get so much pleasure, reward, and enjoyment from
my pets, ALL OF THEM, that it makes me feel good to give something back to
them. Thanks for the great description!
Sue

om...

Old 21-05-2003, 03:20 PM
K30a

Bonnie wrote Do you have a fence surrounding your pond to keep the
turtles inside?

No. But have a wooden fence set in concrete all around the backyard. So the
turtles have gone walk-about and the lazy labradors don't mind.

k30a