Old 22-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Pat Keith

Default Baling Twine

Has any one tried using baling twine in their filter?

Old 22-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Lee Brouillet

Define "twine". If it's metal, it's a no-no: between rust and the fact that
most metals don't combine well with meds (salt and PP come to mind
instantly!), it should be avoided. If you're actually talking "twine", a
natural fiber, then it will deteriorate too quickly. Fiberglass or nylon
"might" work, but I'd put it in a mesh bag first. And if your "twine" is
actually the nylon tape they use for strapping boxes, that's GOOD.

So, it all depends on what the "twine" is!! (and we won't discuss "what your
definition of "is" is . . . to paraphrase one of our former presidents G)

Lee

Old 22-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Just Me \Koi\

I did not have inappropriate relationship with that Koi! (Fingers waving as
I say that!)

JMK, the aspiring comedian from Cucamonga.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 22-05-2003, 02:56 PM
John Rutz

"Pat Keith" wrote in message

Has any one tried using baling twine in their filter?

if your talking about the nylon twine it would work but would

definitly need to be bagged especialy if your using used twine

--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 22-05-2003, 03:56 PM
mad

regular old jute-type twine? i'd think it would rot pretty quickly. the
plastic kind might work, though
mad
--
Have you ever imagined a world without
hypothetical questions?

From: "Pat Keith"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 20:54:00 -0700
Subject: Baling Twine

Has any one tried using baling twine in their filter?

Old 23-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Pat Keith

Polypropylene multifilament twine comes 20,000 feet in a roll. Readily
available locally for $19.
Check out http://www.bridoncordage.com/balerus.html
I checked on 1/4 inch polypropylene tape and its $125 for a 19,000 foot roll
plus shipping.

Old 23-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

Poly multifilament s/would be good, especially if you can untwist it.
However, I would think tht 19,000 feet of that would be a bit problematic!
For ease and convenience when cleaning time comes, I'd make sure that it was
put in a mesh bag. Then all you have to do is lift the bag(s) out to clean,
instead of having to pull hand over hand . . .

Lee