Old 25-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Gail Futoran

Default Creeping Jenny planting depth

I bought a Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia)
at my local water garden store today. I've done a
fair amount of search online (web sites, newsgroups)
and it seems this plant should be planted outside
the pond in damp soil/bog area.

Problem is everything outside my pond is dry
with no real way of keeping soil wet other than
watering it daily, which I won't do.

If I can plant the Creeping Jenny inside the pond,
on the sloping beach (where I want to plant it),
the most stable place puts the rim of the container
about 2" below the water surface.

Water can potentially be 4" higher than that, but
seldom gets more than 2" lower, i.e., the
Creeping Jenny container should at minimum
have its feet in the water, but at maximum could
be 6" under water.

Will that do or am I going to have a rotted
plant?

Thanks for any help -

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 25-05-2003, 10:56 PM
jammer

I have a pot of creeping jenny in the pond. The rim of the pot is
about 4 inches below water. The whole thing is below water. The
tadpoles hide in it but no one is eating it. I pulled some off and
stuck it outside the pond. It is growing fine as well. I think they
are pretty easy going plants.

Old 25-05-2003, 11:20 PM
K30a

I have creeping jenny on a rock ledge, on a muddy bank and on the island.
All are above or below water depending on the day.
And all have done fine.
Seems to be an adaptive plant.
When the pond half emptied itself and the plant on the rock ledge was exposed
to 88 degrees for half a day, it looked pretty sad and dry.

k30a
Old 26-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Gail Futoran

"K30a" wrote in message

I have creeping jenny on a rock ledge, on a muddy bank and

on the island.
All are above or below water depending on the day.
And all have done fine.
Seems to be an adaptive plant.
When the pond half emptied itself and the plant on the

rock ledge was exposed
to 88 degrees for half a day, it looked pretty sad and

dry.

k30a

Thanks to both Jammer & K30a for the input.
I'm going to leave that baby right where it is and
see what happens.

Gail

Old 26-05-2003, 01:21 PM
GrampysGurl

Thanks to both Jammer & K30a for the input.
I'm going to leave that baby right where it is and
see what happens.

Gail

Mine is at the pond edge right up against rocks, I DO NOT water my plants ever
and it does fine there, it isn't we at all..... I added it around the waterfall
this year and into some of the rocks hoping it will spread throughout them like
the sedums.

Colleen
Zone 5 Connecticut

Old 26-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Bob H

I planted Creeping Jenny around the rim of my old pond, I found it grew into
the pond, and actually became quite invasive, I would pull buckets full out
of the stream monthly 3-4"deep and it grew fully a foot into the pond so I
would say your idea should work fine, just don't let it get out of control
on you.

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
[...]

Mice & Rats advise for Jenny C. keith ;-\) United Kingdom 15 16-01-2005 06:50 PM
creeping jenny?? sophie Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 09-06-2004 03:22 PM
GQT/Jenny? Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 10-04-2004 08:07 PM
Caterpillar on creeping Jenny Pickle United Kingdom 0 12-06-2003 11:21 PM
Creeping jenny question jammer Gardening 3 07-03-2003 09:44 PM