Old 11-01-2005, 10:34 PM
keith ;-\)

Default Mice & Rats advise for Jenny C.

Jenny, you want to give your local councils pest control team a call.I don't
do Rats or Mice they are vermin & WILL come into your house.All a mice needs
is a hole the size of a pencil to get into your house.I have recently had a
problem with mice in the garden & house.I was getting to a point where I
could almost guarantee a catch with a mice trap.They were mainly in the
kitchen/conservatory ,when we noticed droppings at the top of the stairs
that was it.They have also been in the loft & ruined almost everything
through nibbling things in the shed.They need to be controlled,we were put
off by the cost of hiring a firm to deal with it,also because we back on to
farmland we put it down to life.Then my father in law found out that the
council do the service for free.They were out within 3 days,they put a rat
box outside with the blue poison blocks inside also 3 mice boxes with the
same poison inside the house.All of the boxes are locked so you cannot get
inside of them,so they wont harm birds!
They also put a tray with poison in the loft.
And so far ,fingers crossed we haven't seen a mice in the house .
The main reason we get mice/rats is because of us feeding the wildlife.I
would suggest getting a bird feeding tray with a metal pole so they cannot
get to the food.Also don't throw out scraps of food.
Hope this helps,I am sure I have offended some people who love all animals
etc blah blah blah gods kingdom and all that.But I personally HATE mice
/rats and wish them all DEAD!
PS grey squirrels are greedy bas****s too,if I put a fat ball out garmented
the little sucker oh spelt that wrong ;-)will come along and take the lot.So
put the fat balls were they cannot get to them!!

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:37 PM
keith ;-\)

Amendment-if I put a fat ball out guaranteed

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Phil L

keith ;-) wrote:

big snip

:: Hope this helps,I am sure I have offended some people who love all
:: animals etc blah blah blah gods kingdom and all that.But I
:: personally HATE mice /rats and wish them all DEAD!

There's no need to hate them Keith, they are merely trying to survive just
like you.
Perhaps if humans were a bit tidier in their habits, rodents would be less
of a problem?

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 12-01-2005, 08:18 AM
JennyC

"keith ;-)" wrote
Jenny, you want to give your local councils pest control team a call.I don't
do Rats or Mice they are vermin & WILL come into your house.
snip
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

I know what you mean Keith, but I really want to avoid poison if possible.

We have a canal running along the back of the house, so there are probably
masses of rats out there. There is also a strip of 'no-man's-land's which is
full of wildlife (mice, buds, hedgehog) This is all in the middle of the city
and it seems a pity to destroy them.

We've lived here for 10 years and this is the first time we've seen rodents
nicking the birdfeed. Weird because its a very mild winter, so its not as if
they are starving !

I'm going to try Sacha's 'tree collar' which sounds the perfect solution.
Jenny

Old 12-01-2005, 09:13 AM
nambucca

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
keith ;-) wrote:

big snip

:: Hope this helps,I am sure I have offended some people who love all
:: animals etc blah blah blah gods kingdom and all that.But I
:: personally HATE mice /rats and wish them all DEAD!

There's no need to hate them Keith, they are merely trying to survive just
like you.
Perhaps if humans were a bit tidier in their habits, rodents would be less
of a problem?

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Actually if humans stopped leaving apples rotting on the ground and stopped
putting out bread for the birds the Rat population would decline

Too many people even rural dwellers think rats are inevitable and fail to
see their own stupidity as the cause

Old 12-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Dave H

Keith

Do you want to chill out (and possibly sober up!)

I appreciate you may have a problem,

But for the rats and mice it's nothing personal...

You are just an easy source of resources

Phil L has the right idea

Dave H

Old 12-01-2005, 08:22 PM
keith ;-\)

I thought i would catch one sucker! Let me reel you in dave ;-).

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:23 PM
keith ;-\)

I agree with you totally Phil,there are some really dirty scruffy people out
there who don't care a damn about were they live or the house they live in.I
know I have to work in there hell holes,I work for the city council !.
Rodents do need to be controlled,as do all pests like pigeons .

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.
"Phil L" wrote in message
k...

big snip

Old 12-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Sally Thompson

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:18:08 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

snip
[re rats eating fat balls]

We've lived here for 10 years and this is the first time we've seen rodents
nicking the birdfeed. Weird because its a very mild winter, so its not as if
they are starving !

Jenny, I've come rather late into this thread, but we have recently
discovered a special bird feeder for fat balls which might help. It's
a bit like a metal peanut feeder but with bigger holes. It takes 3
fat balls at a time if you want, and although we don't have a rodent
problem here (several cats), we do have opportunistic squirrels and
magpies. It is also very important to hang the feeder (or just the fat
ball if you can't get a feeder) on a thin wire so that the rat(s)
can't climb up it. If you can't find such a feeder in Rotterdam,
perhaps on your next visit to the UK?

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Reply To address is spam trap
Old 13-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Dave H

"keith ;-)" wrote in message
I thought i would catch one sucker! Let me reel you in dave ;-).

Yeah right, Whatever.....

Dave H

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 13-01-2005, 04:23 PM
JennyC

"Sally Thompson" wrote
JennyC" wrote:

snip
[re rats eating fat balls]

We've lived here for 10 years and this is the first time we've seen rodents
nicking the birdfeed. Weird because its a very mild winter, so its not as if
they are starving !

Jenny, I've come rather late into this thread, but we have recently
discovered a special bird feeder for fat balls which might help. It's
a bit like a metal peanut feeder but with bigger holes. It takes 3
fat balls at a time if you want, and although we don't have a rodent
problem here (several cats),

We have a cat. he just sits indoors and watches the birds feeding :~)

we do have opportunistic squirrels and
magpies. It is also very important to hang the feeder (or just the fat
ball if you can't get a feeder) on a thin wire so that the rat(s)
can't climb up it.

For the moment I have re-hung the balls on very thin branches. The birds and the
mouse don't seem to ahve a problem, but I think the rat will find it too
'wobbly' if he tries to descend the stirng.... :~)

If you can't find such a feeder in Rotterdam,
perhaps on your next visit to the UK?
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Reply To address is spam trap

Indeed, and I see you might know a good B&B to stay at :~))
Jenny

Old 15-01-2005, 10:17 PM
anton

"nambucca" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...

There's no need to hate them Keith, they are merely trying to survive

just
like you.

Dunno about that. Various forms of life 'trying to survive' are best dealt
with without mercy. Maybe if that squirrel had left me one single hazelnut
from the bushes in my front orchard his survival chances would be a little
better.

Perhaps if humans were a bit tidier in their habits, rodents would be

less
of a problem?

Actually if humans stopped leaving apples rotting on the ground and

stopped
putting out bread for the birds the Rat population would decline

Such balls. Before our current time of plentiful food, apples rotting on
the ground, KFC throwaways in every bin and bread put out for birds, rats
were really rare, weren't they?

Too many people even rural dwellers think rats are
inevitable

and you know better than these many people, eh?

and fail to
see their own stupidity as the cause

stupidity exacerbates the rat problem- it doesn't create it, sonny.

--
Anton

Old 16-01-2005, 10:07 AM
JennyC

"keith ;-)" wrote in message
Jenny, you want to give your local councils pest control team a call.I

don't
do Rats or Mice they are vermin & WILL come into your house.All a mice

needs
is a hole the size of a pencil to get into your house.

"Richard" wrote in message
Get a Jack Russell Terrier.

He would not survive our killer cat !!
Pity he only goes for dogs and not for mice :~))

BTW the mouse bought a friend along this week so it is now time to stop them in
their tracks. The newly purchased metal/wire fat ball feeder seems to be doing
the trick. they can't get a hold on the metal :~)

Jenny

Old 16-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Phil L

anton wrote:
:: "nambucca" wrote in message
:: ...
:::
::: "Phil L" wrote in message
::: k...
::::
:::: There's no need to hate them Keith, they are merely trying to
:::: survive just like you.
::
:: Dunno about that. Various forms of life 'trying to survive' are
:: best dealt with without mercy. Maybe if that squirrel had left
:: me one single hazelnut from the bushes in my front orchard his
:: survival chances would be a little better.

So it wasn't human gross stupidity to plant a hazelnut bush in squirrel
country then?

:::: Perhaps if humans were a bit tidier in their habits, rodents
:::: would be less of a problem?
:::
::: Actually if humans stopped leaving apples rotting on the ground
::: and stopped putting out bread for the birds the Rat population
::: would decline
::
:: Such balls. Before our current time of plentiful food, apples
:: rotting on the ground, KFC throwaways in every bin and bread put
:: out for birds, rats were really rare, weren't they?
::
Actually, yes, their populations have boomed in line with our food
consumtion.

::: Too many people even rural dwellers think rats are
::: inevitable
::
:: and you know better than these many people, eh?
::
::: and fail to
::: see their own stupidity as the cause
::
:: stupidity exacerbates the rat problem- it doesn't create it, sonny.

Rats find food, if there's none around, they move on to where there is some,
simple really.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Large mice or rats attacking my peas [email protected] United Kingdom 4 08-04-2016 12:45 PM
Mice blasted mice Broadback[_2_] United Kingdom 42 22-12-2009 07:06 PM
Rats, Rats, R-A-T-S J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 13 07-08-2003 03:32 AM
Thanks Rats and mice SG1 Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Rats and mice Just a little bit Australia 12 05-04-2003 06:34 AM