Old 30-05-2003, 04:20 AM
zookeeper

Default koi teeth (was SNAILS?)

I knew that koi had pharyngeal teeth, but didn't know what they might
look like, or exactly where they are located. So I googled, and found
these pages:

Grass carp (related to "common carp" and koi), with picture of
pharyngeal teeth
http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/aquaculture/triploid.htm

A page on koi anatomy with a description of the digestive system (#27)
including pharyngeal teeth, but doesn't show teeth in cross-section
http://www.byteline.com.au/koi/koi_anatomy.html

And here's a page with a description and photo of a koi tooth
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/duncan....oi%20teeth.htm

Happy chewing!
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond (Oregon)

RichToyBox wrote:
k30a,

Koi teeth are located in the back of the mouth and grind against a bony
structure in the roof of the mouth. They look like molars. My BIL has a
whole medicine jar full. I have never found one in my ponds.

Old 30-05-2003, 04:32 AM
zookeeper

zookeeper wrote:
I knew that koi had pharyngeal teeth, but didn't know what they might
look like, or exactly where they are located. So I googled, and found
these pages:

And here's a page showing x-ray images of pharyngeal jaw structures in
surfperch. (Okay, I'll stop now -- fascinating stuff, though).
http://darwin.bio.uci.edu/~edrucker/home/feeding.htm

--
zookeeper

Old 30-05-2003, 04:20 PM
K30a

zookeeper wrote And here's a page showing x-ray images of pharyngeal jaw
structures in
surfperch. (Okay, I'll stop now -- fascinating stuff, though).

Thanks for the interesting pages!
amazing.....!

k30a
Old 30-05-2003, 08:08 PM

ALLRIIIIIGHT... I think GF teeth are smaller and more triangular. I find these hard
white things inthe bare bottom tank all the time.

Old 02-06-2003, 03:57 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote in message
OK.. Jo Ann says she thinks they grow continuously cause she's had 2

where the teeth
werent ground down well enough and it started to make the gills flare.

Ingrid

Ingrid...I have been wondering about this since October when I first joined
in on rec.ponds...Who is Jo Ann?

BV.