Old 01-06-2003, 12:32 AM
tom

Default plants dieing?

My floating plants (lettuce and snowball) seem to be dying on me. I have a
small pond, around 800 gallon with 9 small fish. The greens are turning
brownish around the edges and generally looking unhealthy.

The water quality seems good, and the fish are doing well. I have a
waterfall, bio filter, and a floating wood chip thing (for keeping down
slime levels?)

Thanks for any help,

Tom

Old 01-06-2003, 07:44 PM
NJ

"tom" wrote in message
My floating plants (lettuce and snowball) seem to be dying on me. I have

small pond, around 800 gallon with 9 small fish. The greens are turning
brownish around the edges and generally looking unhealthy.

The water quality seems good, and the fish are doing well. I have a
waterfall, bio filter, and a floating wood chip thing (for keeping down
slime levels?)

Tom,
Where are you? Here in zone 5b, we have had chillier than normal
temperatures and a ton of rain and clouds. I had to throw out all my water
lettuce ($$ down the drain!) because it got yellow, then brown, then mushy.
All other elements in the pond are great: fish health, water quality, etc.

NJ

Old 02-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Barbara2245

"NJ" wrote in message ...
"tom" wrote in message
My floating plants (lettuce and snowball) seem to be dying on me. I have

small pond, around 800 gallon with 9 small fish. The greens are turning
brownish around the edges and generally looking unhealthy.

The water quality seems good, and the fish are doing well. I have a
waterfall, bio filter, and a floating wood chip thing (for keeping down
slime levels?)

Tom,
Where are you? Here in zone 5b, we have had chillier than normal
temperatures and a ton of rain and clouds. I had to throw out all my water
lettuce ($$ down the drain!) because it got yellow, then brown, then mushy.
All other elements in the pond are great: fish health, water quality, etc.

NJ

The thing to try is Muriate of Potash availsable at most garden
centers. Dissolve 3 tablespoons in a liter of water. Add 1/8 cup/100
gallons of pond water twice a week. When the plants green up you can
cut back to once a week. My plants died the first two years until I
found out about potash. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:44 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

My floating plants (lettuce and snowball) seem to be dying on me. I have a
small pond, around 800 gallon with 9 small fish. The greens are turning
brownish around the edges and generally looking unhealthy.

The water quality seems good, and the fish are doing well. I have a
waterfall, bio filter, and a floating wood chip thing (for keeping down
slime levels?)
Thanks for any help,
Tom

Define "wood chip thing" & "slime". If we're talking something that is an
algaecide in the wood chip thing, that could be affecting your other
plants. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 02-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
My floating plants (lettuce and snowball) seem to be dying on me. I have a
small pond, around 800 gallon with 9 small fish. The greens are turning
brownish around the edges and generally looking unhealthy.

The water quality seems good, and the fish are doing well. I have a
waterfall, bio filter, and a floating wood chip thing (for keeping down
slime levels?)
Thanks for any help,
Tom

Define "wood chip thing" & "slime". If we're talking something that is an
algaecide in the wood chip thing, that could be affecting your other
plants. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Jan, I think the wood chip thinkie is most likely barley
straw ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Remedy for dieing plants. skozzy Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 17-12-2003 12:32 AM
fantails dieing help! dkat Ponds 8 21-07-2003 02:14 AM
Need advice on goldfilsh dieing Wally Ponds 3 24-06-2003 04:32 PM
babies dieing John Rutz Ponds 4 30-05-2003 01:56 AM
help! my cactus is dieing. Billy Gardening 7 12-03-2003 04:44 PM