Old 05-06-2003, 01:56 AM
BGreel

Default Fish dying

Hi everyone,

Over the winter I bring my fish in side in a wading pool. During the witner I
lost two of them to what I thought was old age. Now the rest are back out in
the pond and I am seeing another fish showing the same symptoms.

The fish seem to get weak, their fins kind of clamped down. They swim like
they are a little off balance. Then I find them lying on their side curved in
a semi circle. They stay this way for a few days and then dye. This slow
process takes about a month after they show the first symptoms of swimming
oddly.

I hope you can tell me what is wrong. Is this a know illness? Any treatment?

Thank you in advance for any advise or help.
Joan
Old 05-06-2003, 04:44 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 05 Jun 2003 00:49:39 GMT, (BGreel) wrote:

Over the winter I bring my fish in side in a wading pool. During the witner I
lost two of them to what I thought was old age. Now the rest are back out in
the pond and I am seeing another fish showing the same symptoms.

Please describe your problem, including fish characteristics, like;
whirling, flashing, gasping at surface, wounds, etc.: (Which you've done,
see rest of sick fish/pond form below. Answer what you can, leave blank
what you can't, but do not delete the questions.)

The fish seem to get weak, their fins kind of clamped down. They swim like
they are a little off balance. Then I find them lying on their side curved in
a semi circle. They stay this way for a few days and then dye. This slow
process takes about a month after they show the first symptoms of swimming
oddly.
Joan

Pond Size in Gallons? (litres*.26=US Gallons):

Water Source (Well, Irrigation, City?)
If City how is water treated?: =

Time in Operation?
(How old is the pond/water?):

Liner type? (EPDM,PVC,RUBBER,Cement/Concrete etc):

Fish Population?
Type? Size? QTY, Time in Pond:

Food? Type and Frequency of feedings.:

Pump Type, IN/OUT of pond, GPH etc
(Describe your filtration system as well as possible):

Prefilter media type? Last cleaned?:

Filter is BIO or Mechanical? Last cleaned? How (using dechlorinated
water?)?:

Carbon added? How much? When last changed?:

Aeration? Waterfalls? Bubblers?
Venturies?:

Water Temp?

PH?:

Ammonia (ppm or mg/l):

Nitrite (ppm or mg/l):

Nitrate (ppm or mg/l):

Water Color, cloudiness, odor?:

Water changes? (% of pond volume and how often):

Additives used (water conditioners etc):

Tests done by self or another?:

Weather (what's it been like lately?):

Medications used?:

What Zone or Country of residence?:

~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 05-06-2003, 03:08 PM
BGreel

[...]

They also seem to loose weight and are unable to gain it back.

Pond Size in Gallons? (litres*.26=US Gallons): 185

Water Source (Well, Irrigation, City?)
If City how is water treated?: = city, treated with Tetra AquaSafe

Time in Operation? Pond is Three years old
(How old is the pond/water?): One Month

Liner type? Preform(EPDM,PVC,RUBBER,Cement/Concrete etc):

Fish Population?
Type? Size? QTY, Time in Pond:

* comets and shubunkins size from 3" to 9" Have been in the outside pool for
two weeks. Were in the wading pool about 7 months during winter inside
Food? Type and Frequency of feedings.:

Feed once a day floating goldfish food for color and normal food
Pump Type, IN/OUT of pond, GPH etc
(Describe your filtration system as well as possible): Mag pump inside pond

250gph feeds into upper whiskey barrel liner that serves as bio filter and
veggie filter.

Prefilter media type? Last cleaned?: outside pond -

Filter on inlet of pump open foam (came with pump) bottom feed bio filter and
veggie filter combo with air tower. Swamp cooler manmade filter media, lava
rock, irises, water celery, and marsh marigold plants. Inside pond- had bio
fliter containing zeolite, and charcoal, aireation stone

Filter is BIO or Mechanical? Last cleaned? How (using dechlorinated
water?)?: spring

Carbon added? How much? When last changed?:

Aeration? Waterfalls? Bubblers?

Water falls one 10" and one 3"
Venturies?:

Water Temp? 50

PH?: normal

Ammonia (ppm or mg/l):normal

Nitrite (ppm or mg/l): normal

Nitrate (ppm or mg/l): normal

Water Color, cloudiness, odor?: Little green but normal for this time of year

Water changes? (% of pond volume and how often):

Additives used (water conditioners etc):
Aqua safe from Tetra
Tests done by self or another?:

Weather (what's it been like lately?):

Medications used?:

What Zone or Country of residence?:
zone 5 to 6
~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

Old 13-06-2003, 08:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Sorry it took so long to answer, I was hoping someone else would jump in.
Dang day job..... but I'm now off for the summer. ) Scroll down.

On 05 Jun 2003 13:56:05 GMT, (BGreel) wrote:

[...]

How warm was the water in their holding tank for winter? This could be the
problem if the holding tank was 60F or higher, and they went into 50F I'd
suspect ick at the very least.

PH?: normal
Ammonia (ppm or mg/l):normal
Nitrite (ppm or mg/l): normal
Nitrate (ppm or mg/l): normal

What kind of test are you using, does it only show normal and abnormal? Or
does it give numbers in ppm? What is a "normal" pH? Ammonia and Nitrite
should be 0 ppm, Nitrate should be showing something beyond normal, imo,
since you have green water.

Water Color, cloudiness, odor?: Little green but normal for this time of year
Water changes? (% of pond volume and how often):
Additives used (water conditioners etc):
Aqua safe from Tetra
Tests done by self or another?:

Weather (what's it been like lately?):

Was the water as warm as inside and then there was a down turn in your
temps? This can cause not only disease, but the bio-bugs to slow down,
which affects water quality. Also, at 50F you shouldn't be feeding the fish
anything, this could also be the problem. Feeding too soon. ~ jan

Old 13-06-2003, 02:08 PM
BGreel

Hi,

After a couple days, ich showed up. Treated them and all is okay now.

Thank you Everyone for the help.
Joan