Old 15-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Randy

Default Chlorine, Bio, and charcaol filters

We bought a very large charcoal filter and I have not installed it yet.
Does it remove the chlorine and the chloramines as water is passed through
it to the auto water filler?

Old 15-06-2003, 04:08 AM
RichToyBox

The filters will do the job, BUT you need to have a chlorine test kit and
check the water coming through it before and after each filling of the pond.
My BIL was using one and I got a call tonight about one dead fish and two
others that were acting very strange. He said that he had just done about a
10% water change. When I got to his house, we checked the chlorine content
before and after the filter. Somehow the water before the filter was nearly
free of chlorine, but the test kit registered chlorine levels high enough to
be safe for a swimming pool. We ran some water through the filter to be
sure that it wasn't just the dead water in the canister, and retested and it
was still very high.
--
RichToyBox

thlink.net...

Old 16-06-2003, 08:01 PM
Lee Brouillet

Yep: that's why they're NOT recommended for use in the fish pond. You have
no way of knowing that the filtration/absorption capabilities have stopped
until you have dead fish. And it has the nasty little habit of releasing
what it's captured once it gets to capacity. Not good. Hope you had dechlor
for the BIL's pond . . .

Lee

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
[...]

thlink.net...

Old 16-06-2003, 10:32 PM

now that is really very, very strange. Ingrid

"RichToyBox" wrote:

The filters will do the job, BUT you need to have a chlorine test kit and
check the water coming through it before and after each filling of the pond.
My BIL was using one and I got a call tonight about one dead fish and two
others that were acting very strange. He said that he had just done about a
10% water change. When I got to his house, we checked the chlorine content
before and after the filter. Somehow the water before the filter was nearly
free of chlorine, but the test kit registered chlorine levels high enough to
be safe for a swimming pool. We ran some water through the filter to be
sure that it wasn't just the dead water in the canister, and retested and it
was still very high.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com