Old 07-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Randy

Default Chlorine, Bio, and charcaol filters

Does using an automatic water filler (which is constantly topping off the
water level with city chlorinated water) mess with the bio environment of
our water or do we HAVE to use a charcoal filter?

Old 07-06-2003, 05:20 PM
John Hines

"Randy" wrote:

Does using an automatic water filler (which is constantly topping off the
water level with city chlorinated water) mess with the bio environment of
our water or do we HAVE to use a charcoal filter?

I say no, because:

a) the amount of water topped off is small, per day
b) you specify clorine, and not the nastier cloramine

Old 07-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Nedra

But would it not depend upon how Much water is being
topped off?? I think I would add some DeChlor every
other day or so- just to be sure the Chlorine wasn't poisoning
the pond.
FWIW....

Nedra

Old 07-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Sue Alexandre

Now I'm starting to worry about something I've never had on my "worry list"
before. I've NEVER added anything like dechlor to my pond, and I do
partial water changes and topoffs often. The pond is about 4000 gallons,
and every time I do a skimmer/pump/filter cleaning (about every week or
maybe a little less) I let a lot of water run out of the pond. I let it go
down 4 or 5 inches at these times, and when I was installing the skimmer a
month or two ago I let a LOT more out than that. Then I fill it back up
with the hose and don't worry about it. I've never lost a fish, and the
water looks clean and clear 80% of the time. Should I be worried, or is
there enough volume in my pond to dilute the topoffs?
Sue

thlink.net...

Old 08-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Randy

Ok then as John says,

What if my question was the same but in regard to chloramines?

thlink.net...

Old 08-06-2003, 01:20 AM
RichToyBox

Sue,

I would say you have been mostly lucky. Chlorine and chloramine are
oxidizers similar to PP and as such they are spent digesting bacteria and
other things in the pond in fairly short order. The problem comes in that
the amount that is added is usually added faster than it is consumed and the
chlorine/chloramine build up to a measurable level and start to burn the
gills of the fish. For small water additions, of less than say 5% then the
amount that is able to build up in the system is small enough that it
probably doesn't harm the fish. Doesn't do them any good either. The
chlorine will work on the bacteria in the filter system, setting it back
from a little to a lot, depending on the amount of water added and
chlorine/chloramine level in the water. I don't care how much water I add,
I always add dechlor. I have the automatic fill valve, but have never
gotten around to using it. It fits behind the filter pad in my skimmer and
when the pad gets clogged, the water level behind the pad falls, so it is
possible to overfill a pond.
--
RichToyBox

"Sue Alexandre" wrote in message
Now I'm starting to worry about something I've never had on my "worry

list"
before. I've NEVER added anything like dechlor to my pond, and I do
partial water changes and topoffs often. The pond is about 4000

gallons,
and every time I do a skimmer/pump/filter cleaning (about every week or
maybe a little less) I let a lot of water run out of the pond. I let it

go
down 4 or 5 inches at these times, and when I was installing the skimmer a
month or two ago I let a LOT more out than that. Then I fill it back up
with the hose and don't worry about it. I've never lost a fish, and the
water looks clean and clear 80% of the time. Should I be worried, or is
there enough volume in my pond to dilute the topoffs?
Sue

thlink.net...

Old 08-06-2003, 01:32 AM
John Hines

"Nedra" wrote:

But would it not depend upon how Much water is being
topped off?? I think I would add some DeChlor every
other day or so- just to be sure the Chlorine wasn't poisoning
the pond.

Yes.

With auto-topoff the amount should be small, under 10% per day.

Adding some declor, just in case, is good. So is using activated carbon
in your filter system, either before, or after the water hits the pond.

Old 08-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Go Fig

In article ,
John Hines wrote:

"Nedra" wrote:

But would it not depend upon how Much water is being
topped off?? I think I would add some DeChlor every
other day or so- just to be sure the Chlorine wasn't poisoning
the pond.

Yes.

With auto-topoff the amount should be small, under 10% per day.

Adding some declor, just in case, is good. So is using activated carbon
in your filter system, either before, or after the water hits the pond.

I'd suggest that the muni water supply that feeds the auto-fill be
almost closed, it does not need to refill the ponds in 1 min. Let it
work all day.

Put the auto-fill in a covered vault, debris can fall on the float and
cause it to cycle the water in the pond... another good reason to have
the feed line just barely on.

jay
Sat, Jun 7, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old 08-06-2003, 03:32 AM
John Hines

"Randy" wrote:

Ok then as John says,

What if my question was the same but in regard to chloramines?

Then you'll most likely need a filter and/or more aggressive de-clor
treatment.

The simple tricks don't work with cloramines.

Old 08-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Nedra

Randy,

My water dept uses Chloramine ... 3 ppm. I always use
AmQuel to combat the Chloramine effects.

Nedra

"Randy" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Ok then as John says,

What if my question was the same but in regard to chloramines?

thlink.net...

Old 09-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Sean Dinh

It depends on how much the water department added chlorine and chloramines. In
SoCal, my tap water was quite clean. My parents did 100% water change and no
fish died. There were 6 4" koi and 2 3" GF in a 20 gallon aquarium. The city
raised the level a few months ago. Someone lost a bunch of Koi because of water
change.

The water in Las Vegas is nasty. I can smell the chloramines when I'm near the
tap water. The bathroom always smell, due to the chloramines in an enclosed
area. My friend killed all his koi when he forgot to turn off the tap during top
off.

Old 09-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Sue Alexandre

Thanks.... sounds like something I need to look into, maybe a call to City
Hall. I know what you mean about being able to smell the
chlorine/chloramine in water in some homes, I have experienced that, but
never in this house. Think I'll stick one of those water-testing test
strips in some tap water and see if anything registers..... not the most
accurate method, but if the level is terribly high, it might tell me that,
right?
Sue

Old 09-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Nedra

Make the phone call!! No way a test kit is going to be as
accurate. Put the AmQuel - if its chloramines you want to
kill - or DeChlor if its Chlorine. Please put the AmQuel/
DeChlor in the pond as you fill it .... not afterward.

Nedra

Old 10-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Thomas Ball

What about an emitter from a drip system?

This would slowly add water when a cleaning was done and also add fresh
water continually.

We are talking 1/2 gal/h to start.

At this rate the chemicals should not be a problem.

Tom

thlink.net...

Old 10-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Nedra

Read BV's post!! He did this and ended up Killing half
of his fish. I would never take a chance on negating the effects
of Chlorine or Chloramine. It just isn't worth it.
Use the DeChlor!!!!!!

Nedra

"Thomas Ball" wrote in message
What about an emitter from a drip system?

This would slowly add water when a cleaning was done and also add fresh
water continually.

We are talking 1/2 gal/h to start.

At this rate the chemicals should not be a problem.

Tom

thlink.net...