Old 11-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Default Too Many Fish

RFLMAO!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"K30a" wrote in message
Lee wrote An overdose of MS-222 is *always*
fatal

What is MS-222 and can I use it on DH who wanted to discuss our United Way
donation at 5:30am? He who figures if I'm standing up I'm awake....

k30a

Old 14-06-2003, 03:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

In that size pond no egg would escape a gambusia and they're only the size
of a guppy and live bearers also. ~ jan

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 10:02:46 -0700, JGW wrote:

I have a small pond, probably around 100 gallons with two goldfish. I
had no plans have goldfish; it was an accident: these fish were
rescued from a horrible situation, and since I had a pond, I couldn't
say no. Unfortunately, they turned out to be a male and a female, so
last year they spawned. I think they must have eaten a lot of the
babies, but at least three have survived. So now I have 5 fish and
spawning season is at hand again.

I can see that this is going to get out of hand soon if I don't do
something about it.

I really don't want any more fish, but I don't have the heart to kill
them or the time/energy/money to set up another pond to separate them
by gender. Also, although I know what sex the big fish are, I don't
know what sex the yearlings are, or even (for sure) how many of them
are in there.

What do I do???

I know that if I cool the water down a lot they might not spawn, but
I'm not sure I can get the water cold enough where the pond is
located.

Is there something I can put in the water to make their eggs
infertile?

Is there some kind of fish or amphibian or something I can put in
there that will eat the eggs?

Does anybody out there live nearby and want to give a good home to
some fish? (I'm on the Oregon coast).

Thanks.

Joan
______________

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 14-06-2003, 04:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

This is really nice stuff to have on hand, especially when dealing with
large fish. I had to treat an ulcer on one of my larger fish. Since I had
no one in my family with experience it required me to hold w/one hand clean
the wound with another. I put the fish down to just the point of not
listing to the side, took seconds for it to get there. Flipped it upside,
lifted it from the water, cleaned the wound and put the fish in another tub
with clean water and a large air stone, in less than 3 minutes fish was
ready to go back in the pond. ~ jan

On 10 Jun 2003 12:59:08 -0500, "Lee Brouillet" wrote:

MS-222 is a vet grade anesthesia that can be purchased on line. But you have
to be very careful with the dosage, or it puts the fish down - permanently.
Oil of Cloves is more forgiving and easier to obtain. MS-222 has been
cleared for use on food fish (the kind people eat), whereas Oil of Cloves
has not. You can get more info on it from a google search, or from he
http://www.argent-labs.com/argentwebsite/ms-222.htm

And ANYone who wanted to discuss ANYthing with me at 0530 hrs. should be
clobbered! Sheesh! Just because HE'S awake . . .????

Lee

Old 16-06-2003, 12:44 AM
jammer

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:46:01 -0700, JGW wrote:

I have a small pond, probably around 100 gallons with two goldfish. I
had no plans have goldfish; it was an accident: these fish were
rescued from a horrible situation, and since I had a pond, I couldn't
say no. Unfortunately, they turned out to be a male and a female, so
last year they spawned. I think they must have eaten a lot of the
babies, but at least three have survived. So now I have 5 fish and
spawning season is at hand again.

I can see that this is going to get out of hand soon if I don't do
something about it.

I have about a 70 gallon loaded with plants and 2 primary gold fish.
They have had many many babies but have eaten all but about 5-6 that
are hard to see and too big for them to eat. I am looking for a home
for them. Anyone in DFW area?? I'll be getting rid of them before
winter.

Old 16-06-2003, 10:56 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Oh that sounds promising. But....what keeps the gambusia from
overpopulating? Frogs? Big fish?
Joan

1) They're live bearers, so that helps
2) Winter, not many survive it, really knocks the numbers down. Couple of
winters ago I lost them all in Zone 7a and we've had mild winters lately.
~ jan