Old 09-06-2003, 06:08 PM
JGW

Default Too Many Fish

Hi. I'm new to this group, so please forgive me if this question has
been asked before.

I have a small pond, probably around 100 gallons with two goldfish. I
had no plans have goldfish; it was an accident: these fish were
rescued from a horrible situation, and since I had a pond, I couldn't
say no. Unfortunately, they turned out to be a male and a female, so
last year they spawned. I think they must have eaten a lot of the
babies, but at least three have survived. So now I have 5 fish and
spawning season is at hand again.

I can see that this is going to get out of hand soon if I don't do
something about it.

I really don't want any more fish, but I don't have the heart to kill
them or the time/energy/money to set up another pond to separate them
by gender. Also, although I know what sex the big fish are, I don't
know what sex the yearlings are, or even (for sure) how many of them
are in there.

What do I do???

I know that if I cool the water down a lot they might not spawn, but
I'm not sure I can get the water cold enough where the pond is
located.

Is there something I can put in the water to make their eggs
infertile?

Is there some kind of fish or amphibian or something I can put in
there that will eat the eggs?

Does anybody out there live nearby and want to give a good home to
some fish? (I'm on the Oregon coast).

Thanks.

Joan
______________

Old 09-06-2003, 07:32 PM
K30a

Your pond is too small to support a 'hit fish'.
Bullfrogs will wipe out your entire fish population but are very unpopular in
Oregon and might even be illegal to buy now.
Call your local pet store that sells fish.
Ask if they would like to take them.
There is a serious problem with soft hearted
folks releasing goldfish into the natural water
ways. There may be a law in Oregon that compels the pet stores to take in
unwanted
fish.

A quick death for the fish would be much easier than an overcrowded pond gone
toxic.

I saved this post and it will give you instructions if you can't find a home
for the extra fish --
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Subject: humane way of killing excess goldfish?

Not a popular subject as you can see but I will provide info. that you may
find useful. Any flamers can keep comments to themselves :}
After exhausting the obvious 'give away/sell' options, I have had to cull
koi and goldfish this year particularly. Their size was small, up to 1" max
for most part. I did use following method on them as well as a sick 5 in.
goldfish.
I used some clove oil (amount depends on number of fish/water) mixed with
just enough rubbing alcohol to dissolve it (1/2 teaspoon). Place fish in
bucket with just enough water to barely cover them, add the mix. They should
die really quick, within seconds. If you want to be sure they are dead and
not just knocked out, you can then freeze them solid to make sure. I used to
bag and freeze smaller fish but find this clove method quicker and possible
more humane. Larger fish can be placed on harder surface and beheaded with a
flat head shovel. This method tends to stay with you. I got my clove oil
cheap online from sanfrancisco herb co. You may find it locally. For 60 or
so small fish at a time I would use a couple teaspoons max. of clove oil w/
alcohol.
Good luck. In future, when you notice fish spawning, withhold food for a
couple days, the fish will eat most of the eggs. Floating plants can be
removed and eggs picked off. Baby fry can be netted and put down early. One
comment on give-aways to pet stores. Unless your fish are special, they
usually end up as feeders for other fish in someone's aquarium.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

k30a
Old 10-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Just Me \Koi\

My LFS told me of the easiest and supposedly least painful way to put Fish
to sleep is to put them in water and slowly freeze the water. I suspect the
coldwater reduces their metabolism, and puts them into a sleep they don't
wake up from.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 10-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Bob Adkins

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 10:02:46 -0700, JGW wrote:

[...]

Don't just kill them. That's such a waste. Use them for bait or give them to
someone who has a pet snake or weasel.

Bob
Old 10-06-2003, 03:09 PM
Lee Brouillet

This method has been debated, and I guess is better than nothing. However,
whereas the water temp reduces the fish's metabolism and slows it down, the
water temp usually drops faster than the metabolism. That means that the
external surfaces of the fish freeze before the body shuts down. First to
freeze are eyes and fins, followed by gills. Personally, I imagine that
crystalized eyes would be rather painful (and I don't want to get into a
debate about whether or not fish feel pain: I prefer to err on the side that
they DO, rather than that they DON'T). An overdose of MS-222 is *always*
fatal, as is decapitation. Oil of Clove is a gentle way of easing the fish
out (and easier to obtain), but not quite as effective as MS-222: ensure
that the fish has been left in the tank - without any movement whatsoever -
for an hour or so to ensure death: otherwise, it may just be sleeping . . .
I wonder why they can't come up with fishy birth control??? It's so much
easier to prevent than to deal with the ramifications of uncontrolled
breeding . . .

Lee

Old 10-06-2003, 03:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bob Adkins" wrote in message
snip
Don't just kill them. That's such a waste. Use them for bait or give them

someone who has a pet snake or weasel.

I agree. My intent for next season is to get another gar for my aquarium,
and use any fry I get as treats.

BV.

Old 10-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Bob Adkins

I agree. My intent for next season is to get another gar for my aquarium,
and use any fry I get as treats.

No there's a warm, cuddly pet. :-)

Bob
Old 10-06-2003, 03:56 PM

cold water also numbs nerve endings... reason that up here in the arctic zone 5 the
warnings about hypothermia start early in winter. People who have been brought back
after nearly freezing say they didnt really feel any pain as they fell asleep.
Ingrid

Old 10-06-2003, 04:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bob Adkins" wrote in message

I agree. My intent for next season is to get another gar for my aquarium,
and use any fry I get as treats.

No there's a warm, cuddly pet. :-)

He was awesome. I loved that dude. I even had him trained, or he had me
trained for feeding. My tin foils always competed with him, so he and I had
a system for ensuring he got fed. He trusted me very much.

BV.

Old 10-06-2003, 04:32 PM
K30a

Lee wrote An overdose of MS-222 is *always*
fatal

What is MS-222 and can I use it on DH who wanted to discuss our United Way
donation at 5:30am? He who figures if I'm standing up I'm awake....

k30a

Old 10-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Lee Brouillet

MS-222 is a vet grade anesthesia that can be purchased on line. But you have
to be very careful with the dosage, or it puts the fish down - permanently.
Oil of Cloves is more forgiving and easier to obtain. MS-222 has been
cleared for use on food fish (the kind people eat), whereas Oil of Cloves
has not. You can get more info on it from a google search, or from he
http://www.argent-labs.com/argentwebsite/ms-222.htm

And ANYone who wanted to discuss ANYthing with me at 0530 hrs. should be
clobbered! Sheesh! Just because HE'S awake . . .????

Lee

Old 10-06-2003, 07:08 PM
K30a

Lee wrote And ANYone who wanted to discuss ANYthing with me at 0530 hrs.
should be
clobbered! Sheesh! Just because HE'S awake . . .????

And out the door at 5:50am.... then the first teenager shows up at 6am, but not
for long. Good news is that school is out on the 13th. Bad news is that the
band that lives in our basement is out of school too...

k30a
Old 10-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Theo van Daele

Chuckle :-)

We can control PH, GH and KH, but effective DH and DW control has not been
commercialized AFAIK ;-)

Old 10-06-2003, 10:20 PM
mad

i can't believe you and i are that much alike. and have DHs that want to
discuss such at similar ungodly hours. i knew i liked you...
mad
--
Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.
Anonymous

Old 10-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Bob Adkins

He was awesome. I loved that dude. I even had him trained, or he had me
trained for feeding. My tin foils always competed with him, so he and I had
a system for ensuring he got fed. He trusted me very much.

We had a huge, red-headed skink that stays in out garage. She became
habituated to us, and we can feed her out of hand. She leaves in May, and
returns in October and stays all winter. We call her "big mama". I bet she
could crack bones with those jaws.

Bob