Old 10-06-2003, 04:44 PM
cpemma

Default Newbie Idiot Sharing the Wealth

Benign Vanilla wrote:
Sunday we had no rain so went back to the pond to play. I was
disgusted by the still orange water, so I decided to clean it. I
decide to empty some water, and ended up doing about a 75% change. In
the mean time, I scooped out 5 inches of clay from the bottom of the
pond...

Might just work...

At work we use a polyelectrolyte solution to rapidly precipitate fine solids
out of suspension. It works just like the "green water" treatment chemical,
gathering the fine particles into bigger lumps that can be easily filtered
out or pumped off from the bottom.

So have a go with "GreenAway" or similar on your clay suspension.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:08 PM
John Rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
"John Rutz" wrote in message
snip

cant give up now
can you gert(rent) a large sump pump somewhere and pump the bottom
like K30 suggested through some old clothes or maybe a quilt bat to get
the residual clay out?

another idea someone I cant remember who had a 300 g stock tank with a
roll of airconditioner bat in it it did a real good job I found the
battin he used at a wholesaler here in alb its not expensive for a 4 ft
dia roll

snip

The bottom is very clean now. I took care of that on my hands and knees
Sunday. What I have now is the stuff that won't come out in the water. Very
fine particles. I dosed again with Calcite to see if it would help.

As for batting...do you think the nylon stuff used for pillows would work? I
hear it's super cheap.

BV.

i used the polyester quilt type but any of it would work i think
as this is a throwaway deal anywayu if its chaeap enough you could just
change it out every couple days instead of trying to clean it

--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 10-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Matt the Rat

BenignVanilla wrote:
snip
As for batting...do you think the nylon stuff used for pillows would work? I
hear it's super cheap.

Presumably you need to check it doesn't contain any fungacide or similar
poison.

--
Matt
Matt at Matt The Rat dot com

Old 11-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Just Me \Koi\

So sweet!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...
"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Yeah! This does not sound like our BV at all. The BV I know is very
resourceful and would have found a way to McGyver something to clean out

the
clay now!

BV, there are so many easy and quick way to filter out clay, especially
since you don't have expensive Koi yet! Clay particles are large enough

filter easily Dude.

If you quit now I will sue you for breach of emotional contract, and

have
Johnny Cochran represent me/us in a class action suit against you. What
would you prefer? Filter your pond or meet Johnny Cochran?

Is that a good enough encouragement?

Nuff said. Besides...the wife came home with an entire flat of 'hens and
chickens' plants last night because...get this...she knows I love them,

and
she thought...*sniffle*...*choke*...she thought they'd look cool by the
pond. *sniffle* I love her, man.

BV.

Old 12-06-2003, 01:44 AM

well ... a few people actually suggested that what you did was perfectly acceptable
and have said they do the same with "no problems". Sorry. Ingrid

"BenignVanilla" m wrote:

wrote in message
the tap water wasnt a lot colder was it? why didnt you use dechlor of

some kind?
Ingrid

The temp was nearly the same, slightly colder. Why didn't I use dechlor,
because I am an impatient idiot. I am a moron. I am a putz. I thought a slow
fill splashing over my rocks would knock plenty of the cholrine out. Did I
mention I am an idiot?

BV.

Old 12-06-2003, 01:44 AM

aluminum sulfate. it is acid forming so good to use with high pH water. it and a
buffer is what is in Brite and Clear. Ingrid

"Paul in Redland" wrote:

BV, can't quit now, your just getting started!

I've been meaning to ask the group this for a while: Where is Rod Farlee?
I hope we didn't chase him away with too many water quality questions.

I seem to remember Rod posting one time about suspended clay in pond water.
The clay could be precipitated out with alum, as I recall. Does this sound
familiar to anyone? I think that the hardness of the water had something to
do with it's ability to hold clay in suspension also.

BV, do a seach for water, clay, suspension, alum, precipitate etc. and maybe
you'll come up with something. Keep us posted.

Paul

Old 20-06-2003, 02:20 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 10 Jun "Paul in Redland" wrote:

I've been meaning to ask the group this for a while: Where is Rod Farlee?

Rod Farlee should be just about settled in his new house cross country from
where he was. He now resides in western Washington State. I guess we need
to bug him and see when he's coming back. Ya want his e-mail address? ;o)
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 21-06-2003, 04:08 PM
DKat

I'm sooo envious.... I have given up hope of ever getting back west. Hope
he is appreciating where he is.....