Old 11-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Moontanman

Default algeacide ?

What can i do about string algae? It is choking my plants and entangling my
fish.

Old 12-06-2003, 04:56 AM
GD

Place your plants in koi exclusion devices. Cages. Black PVC-coated
wire mesh ( 2" x 4" keeps out larger fish) available at hardware
stores should do the trick. UV resistant, only moderately visible
(more attractive than shredded plants), harmless to the fish and
plants. Don't place cut ends against pond liners, lest a puncture or
two will ensue.

The algae you describe is likely a colonial bluegreen. UV filters
will not control these types. Algicides can work, but must be used
with precision and do not address the real issue: sounds like your
pond is overloaded with nutrients.

"Ann in Houston" wrote:

Since we can't keep lilies or any submerged plants in sufficient numbers to
help with the water filtering, I was thinking about the algeacide (sp?) that
is sold for aquariums. Can you buy it in bulk for larger ponds?
Ann