Old 11-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Ann in Houston

Default algeacide ?

Since we can't keep lilies or any submerged plants in sufficient numbers to
help with the water filtering, I was thinking about the algeacide (sp?) that
is sold for aquariums. Can you buy it in bulk for larger ponds?
Ann

Old 11-06-2003, 03:08 AM
K30a

Ann, what size pond do you have?

k30a
Old 11-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Ann in Houston

rougly 2000 gal.

Old 11-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Ann in Houston

2000 gallons
(hope this doesn't post twice. sbc told computer boy that it had been sent,
after it balked the first time)

Old 11-06-2003, 03:56 AM
K30a

I wouldn't use a chemical solution in 2000 gallons.
Have you seen the algae tips?

k30a

Old 11-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Go Fig

"K30a" wrote in message

Ann, what size pond do you have?

k30a

What kind of algae ? Get a 25 watt UV for suspended green water. It
will be a much better investment then dye.

jay
Tue, Jun 10, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old 11-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Ann in Houston

Well, if you are referring to the age-old wisdom we've all relied on for
years, then yeah. The main component of all that has usually been plants.
My koi are now of a size and number such that the plants don't stand a
chance. They can strip a parrot feather stem so that it resembles spinach
spaghetti. Of course, there is always shade, but that is an issue that I am
trying to circumvent since DH is willing to block all visibility of the pond
to accomplish it. I am trying to get around the need for it. I have to
admit, I didn't expect to see anything new, other than googling for
"algeacide", so I just wrote the question. Now, I am seeing others refer to
the kind of algea that we have this time, that we never had before. The
clumping, rising, scummy kind. I am reading those threads with interest.

Old 11-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Ann in Houston

We've had one for a year or two. Another battle rendered moot by the
incompatibility of koi and lilies/other plants.
(I really do like the koi, I don't mean to blame everything on them. I just
never realized how much the terms "koi pond" and "water garden" were
mutually exclusive. The answer of course, is a new, lily and plant pond.)

Tue, Jun 10, 2003

Old 11-06-2003, 04:32 AM
EJ

If you have had your UV for 2 years you probably need to replace the bulb in
it for it to be effective again. However I don't think it helps with the
algae you are describing. Do you have a filter/pump in your pond if so how
big is the filter and aprox how many GPH is your pump?

Old 11-06-2003, 04:56 AM
Go Fig

In article om,
"Ann in Houston" wrote:

We've had one for a year or two.

What is the brand name and wattage of light ? Have you changed the
light in the last month or so ? Cleaned the sleeve ?

As far as Koi and plants, it is a tough battle. Using a feeding ring
goes along way though.

jay

Old 11-06-2003, 04:56 AM
Ann in Houston

How does the ring keep them from stripping the submerged parrot feather and
anacharis?

Old 11-06-2003, 04:56 AM
Ann in Houston

We have two of those Tetra cannister filters. They are in series with each
other. We have two 1600 gph pumps, but one feeds the two filters and the
other one feeds the UV and goes from there to the urn fountain in the middle
of the pond.

Old 11-06-2003, 04:56 AM
Ann in Houston

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article om,
"Ann in Houston" wrote:

We've had one for a year or two.

What is the brand name and wattage of light ? Have you changed the
light in the last month or so ? Cleaned the sleeve ?

Haven't bought a bulb, but we did clean the sleeve. The bulb doesn't have
to burn out to lose effectiveness? Like another poster said, though, this
is not the algea that it is designed to kill.

Old 11-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Ann in Houston

Man, this is like a chat room. I get so spoiled by OE, compared to Google.
It just seems that SBC is so delicate. It sounds crazy, but our settings
just changed with no direct access from us. Just when I got used to using a
newsreader, the stupid email/newsreader account crapped out on me, via the
settings mysteriously changing. Finally got no. 1 son to fix it tonight.
Ann
(thanks for the answers,
everyone)

Old 11-06-2003, 06:31 AM
Go Fig

In article m,
"Ann in Houston" wrote:

How does the ring keep them from stripping the submerged parrot feather and
anacharis?

For those 2, not so much. But for the lilies you talked about... it can
help a lot, especially once they have gotten a good start. Koi can be
trained and conditioned quite well for fish.

jay