Old 16-06-2003, 12:08 AM
John Rutz

Default filter question

I had put a screen wire pillow in the stocktank waterfall to provide
some extra home to the bacteria
and when the algae all crapped out last week i put some of the old
filter mat in to try to filter out the old dead algae
found out the screen was working backwards (?) it sits on a wire frame
about a foot off the bottom of the tank but all the muck was on top of
the screen

for those using this method is ths the way it normaly works?

--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 17-06-2003, 07:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:04:21 -0600, John Rutz
wrote:

I had put a screen wire pillow in the stocktank waterfall to provide
some extra home to the bacteria
and when the algae all crapped out last week i put some of the old
filter mat in to try to filter out the old dead algae
found out the screen was working backwards (?) it sits on a wire frame
about a foot off the bottom of the tank but all the muck was on top of
the screen

for those using this method is ths the way it normaly works?

Is this an upflow filter? How much muck is below the screen? How long a
time goes between cleanings? In my filter at home the muck is below the
screen with fines mixed in amongst the screen. In the Demo Pond, due to
channeling there was muck on top, but most was below the screening. Both
pre-filter of which I speak are upflow. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 17-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Just Me \Koi\

What is a screen wire pillow?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 17-06-2003, 03:20 PM
John Rutz

wrote:

Is this an upflow filter? How much muck is below the screen? How long a
time goes between cleanings? In my filter at home the muck is below the
screen with fines mixed in amongst the screen. In the Demo Pond, due to
channeling there was muck on top, but most was below the screening. Both
pre-filter of which I speak are upflow. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

--
sorry Jan I shoulda specified it was upflow there was some dietrus
under the pillow but most of the "black Mud" was on top

Old 18-06-2003, 07:44 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

sorry Jan I shoulda specified it was upflow there was some dietrus
under the pillow but most of the "black Mud" was on top
was wondering if maybe I plumbedd the outflow into the tank wrong to
cause the "reversal" of deposit the pillow had been in the filter for I
think three weeks, I only noticed the buildup as I had partialy drained
it to install the fine filter mat to catch the dead phyloalgae it
wasn't clogged by any means so I Just thought, if maybe Im pushing the
water through it too fast and it doesnt have time to settle and is being
forced throuh the pillow ( I'm using a 3600 gph mag drive on this )and
its a 150 g stock tank and is settling on top as that is wher the water
is slower John R

Yup, that's probably what is going on. ~ jan

Old 18-06-2003, 04:08 PM
John Rutz

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
[...]

thanks Jan
Makes me feel somewhat better
with everything that has been going on wierd in my pond and life
this month Im begining to think I cant get anything right ;-)
guess its time to build another pond :-)