Old 16-06-2003, 08:01 PM
D.W.

Default What to expect?

I have just finished my patio pond, my first attempt at water
gardening. Let me describe what I have done so far and, hopefully
then, I can get some advice and you will share some of your
experiences with me. I admit that I didn't do as much homework as I
should of before I started, so I might say something that will make
you experienced folk wince.

I had just moved into my new apartment and had to make a few repairs,
and I remembered a picture I had seen in a Home Depot advertisement in
Sunday's paper. While at Lowe's curiosity got the best of me and I
went to look in the Garden section. When I saw the half whiskey
barrels I knew what I wanted to do.

I asked the store clerk for advice and she pointed me toward a "Little
Giant Barrel or Planter Kit." It included a 120 gph pump with fountain
and a liner.
While there I also picked up a few water plants, a water lettuce and
two water lilies (one that had a bud), and also some river rock.

I got the barrel lined and filled, It has about 25 gal., and set the
water lettuce sailing. I planted the two water lilies as
recomended(aquatic soil, planter). Did I get one to many water lilies?
They both look very healthy. Though they were advertised as being good
for whiskey planters, I am afraid they are not deep enough. The bud
that was on one of them began to open, (Still under water). The next
day however it was closed again? So Disappointing! I thought it might
be the daisy fountain...I had read lilies did not like having their
leaves splashed, so I changed the fountain head to a water bell
pattern. Will it open again? I also, rinsed the river rock and layered
the bottom with it.

The next day I went and got some more plants. I got a water Iris,
another lettuce, some hornwort, and another marginal. I potted them
all, though with the two marginals I forgot to remove most of the
original soil they were in. Should I repot immediately? I am worried
about fertilizers. I also got some fish. I got three pearl scale
goldfish. Each are about 2 inches.

I added the rest of the plants while letting the goldfish bag float in
the water. I added the fish to the pond and then added some Pond Start
water conditioner and also Pond Water Clear...both were part of a
Jungle Pond Kit which also contains a Ammonia and Chloramine remover,
A Clear Zyme, and Pond Block for Algae. I am picking up a pond testing
kit today. I dont want to rely to much on chemicals, so what do I use
to keep the pond healthy? I was thinking of adding snails and/or also
some pumice and a bio filter. Do I need a filter, or will the plants
handle it?

I also got some Little Giant Goldfish Food. The goldfish don't seem to
like it. Maybe they just aren't used to being fed by me? Are they
full? Otherwise they are vital and attractive, and very humourous.

So far everything looks healthy and it has been a tremendous
enjoyment, but it has only been a few days. I want to start right. So
please share your thoughts.
What should I expect during the next week, month, and seasons?

Thank you!

Sorry...I am a story teller
Old 16-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Bern Muller

"D.W." wrote in message
om...
I have just finished my patio pond, my first attempt at water
gardening. Let me describe what I have done so far and, hopefully
then, I can get some advice and you will share some of your
experiences with me.

Congratulations on your new venture, and the enthusiasm you are putting into
it. However, I suggest you have enough stuff in your barrel for a several
hundred gallon pond. It will be very difficult maintaining healthy
conditions with so much stuff in so little water. I suggest either getting
more whiskey barrels and dividing the plants and animals among them, or
getting a larger plastic pond and spreading it all out.

Old 16-06-2003, 08:32 PM
K30a

Welcome to rec.ponds!
Your fish will warm up after awhile. Spooked by moving to a new environment so
they'll be shy.
Feed them sparingly! Very sparingly! The problems with most pond environments,
large and small, is too many nutrients in the water.

A water bell pattern is best for lilies in a small environment.
Give the lilies some time to adjust to their new home. You might not see the
first flowers.

Don't worry about repotting the plants you've potted. We use all sorts of media
around here and they all work to one degree or another.

With lots of plants, fish fed very sparingly, you won't have to use a lot of
chemicals. Just those that remove chlorine and chloramine (if present) from the
water.

I'm sure you'll love your small pond.
Remove spent flowers, pads and dying vegetation on a regular basis.
Do water changes from time to time - 10% of the pond water, what? weekly,
bi-weekly people?
You can feed the lilies, most people use regular flowering spikes.
When fall comes we'll talk about winter care.
(bbbbbrrrrrrrr!)

k30a
Old 17-06-2003, 04:08 AM
J. Douglas Mercer

I agree with k30a that you need to do frequent water changes.(not just
"topping-off")
I don't know your level of knowledge of water chemistry, but, I would
recommend monitoring water quality closely.
I saw a nice "dip-strip" pond water test kit at Lowe's for about $15.
It would be a nice tool for learning about the nitrogen cycle, and,
personally, I find it very interesting.
Plus, it would give you a better insight into potential problem
diagnosis/prevention.

Doug
..

Old 17-06-2003, 04:56 AM
Chad

Congrats, I have had a deck pond going for 6 years now. I have even
kept it running through 3 cold midwestern winters with the help of a
little heater. I now drain it and use my main pond as my fish friends
winter retreat. I have had excellent luck with my deck pond and I use
no chemicals to control algae. I keep a couple of small fish and some
plants along with my small bottom filter. My pond gets quite a bit of
sun and I do have to add water quite frequently to make up for
evaporation & keep the temperature down below hot tub temps, but over
all my water stays very clear with a small amount of algae on the
sides/bottom of the pond. Best of luck.

FYI... racoons do love deck/patio ponds... I lost my favorite
shubunkins a couple of years ago. Now I have some nice big rocks with
hiding places for the fish to hide. Hopefully the racoons aren't at
the gym training.

http://members.cox.net/bokowski/deckpond.html

Old 17-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Sue Alexandre

Dear D.W.:
Expect to be completely and totally consumed by this new hobby, and start
planning your next, bigger pond. They are addicting, and like potato chips
.. . . you can't have just one. Good luck!
Sue

om...

Old 17-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Just Me \Koi\

True. I was going to add that DW also needs to expect to drain his bank
account! Get out now while there is still hope DW

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Sue Alexandre" wrote in message
Dear D.W.:
Expect to be completely and totally consumed by this new hobby, and start
planning your next, bigger pond. They are addicting, and like potato

chips
. . . you can't have just one. Good luck!
Sue

om...

Old 17-06-2003, 05:20 PM
D.W.

Thank You! all for the great responses.

Yesterday, I purchased some pond testing strips, that test for Ph,
Hardness, Nitrite/Nitrate, and alkalinity. Just to try them out, I
used one. The results indicated that the water is ideal. I was
planning on testing weekly. I also am very interested in the cycling
process, and was planning on charting the data (also temp.) along with
picures and notes. Also, I have gotten into the habit of filling a
gallon jug with water and leaving it outside, to dechlorinate, so I
could do "topping offs." It gets awfully hot here in Arkansas and it
seems I'll need to do this often. I am planning weekly, partial (10 -
15%), water changes. I am not so sure that just leaving the water to
sit outside for a day before adding it removes the Chlorine. I am
worried about buildup. Should I have scheduled addings of DeChlor? Can
I use a pool strips to test for Chlorine?

With the two plants that I asked about needing to be repotted, I was
worried that fertilizers or other chemicals harmful to fish may have
been used that would leach into the pond. I just pulled them out of
their pots and put them into aquatic pots, filling around them with
aquatic soil. All the plants seem to be doing exceptional. I have
trimmed the dead and broken foliage, and the yellow that was on the
leaves of a few of them has completely disappeared. Hopefully, the
Lily bud will reopen. If not, there is always the Iris to look forward
to.

You were right, it seems, about the fish being in shock from being
transferred to a new environment. They have really become active. I
only feed them once a day, a couple pinches, for my own amusement. I
am sure they get plenty to eat, being outside. Does anybody else have
Pearl Scale Goldfish? They are such a joy to watch. Their combination
of elegant looks, and rotundity is just about absurd. I live in a city
environment, so I am not so worried about raccoons. I am worried
however, about feral cats. There is a large population of strays in my
neighborhood. The water is deep, and there are plenty of plants, so I
am confident the fish would be able to get to safety. Has anybody else
had a similar problem?

Thanks Again
Old 17-06-2003, 08:56 PM
jammer

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 07:09:44 -0400, "Sue Alexandre"
wrote:

Dear D.W.:
Expect to be completely and totally consumed by this new hobby, and start
planning your next, bigger pond. They are addicting, and like potato chips
. . . you can't have just one. Good luck!
Sue

Addicting is the word. I wish i had buried a dog somewhere else.
Wonder if i could hire some crack head to dig her up and move her for
me? Yuck. I really would like to extend my pond where she lies, but
wonder HOW...

try creeping the house's ugly boat and Wednesday will expect you Moronic Moronic Addict United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 01:39 PM
try not to expect the jars partially, believe them freely Shitty Sickly Twink United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 12:35 PM
Going from planted tank to saltwater. What to expect? BillT Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 22-04-2005 03:49 AM
When To Expect Shooting SamMan Bamboo 1 26-02-2005 06:20 PM
Schedule To Expect Hostile Insects, Etc? Antipodean Bucket Farmer Edible Gardening 10 29-03-2004 12:07 AM