Old 17-06-2003, 02:56 AM
Michael Shaffer

Default Bamboo in stream/pond?

Anybody know if this would grow well in a stream/pond? Would the roots
have to be in soil or could I just put them on teh gravel in my stream?

Thanks

Mike

Old 17-06-2003, 04:20 AM
James Williams

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message
Anybody know if this would grow well in a stream/pond? Would the roots
have to be in soil or could I just put them on teh gravel in my stream?

I grew bamboo in a 2 gal jar full of stones. It stayed full of rancid
water and grew well for three years before it busted the glass.

Depending on all other conditions, your bamboo should grow, but unless
you have some sort of restraint, it might get away from you.

Old 17-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Sam Hopkins

I dont think true bamboo will grow in water only. There's that cornstalk
plant that places at the mall and home depot are passing as bamboo. That
stuff will grow in only water.

Old 17-06-2003, 04:32 PM
joe

Michael Shaffer wrote:

Anybody know if this would grow well in a stream/pond? Would the roots
have to be in soil or could I just put them on teh gravel in my stream?

Bamboo in a stream bed sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. If you try
it, please make sure you are using clumping rather than running bamboo. I
think there might also be some concern about puncturing your liner - I seem
to recall some discussion about that here sometime ago.

Joe

Old 17-06-2003, 05:32 PM
John Hines

Michael Shaffer wrote:

Anybody know if this would grow well in a stream/pond? Would the roots
have to be in soil or could I just put them on teh gravel in my stream?

There is rec.gardens.bamboo that is where the bamboo folks hang out.

Bamboo comes in two kinds, clumpers and runners. The latter will send
roots thru 45 mil EPDM liner. although 65 mil is mentioned as a possible
barrier.

So one key is to pick the right bamboo for the climate, and usage.

Good luck

Old 17-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Gary Rich

John Hines wrote:
Michael Shaffer wrote:

Anybody know if this would grow well in a stream/pond? Would the roots
have to be in soil or could I just put them on teh gravel in my stream?

There is rec.gardens.bamboo that is where the bamboo folks hang out.

Bamboo comes in two kinds, clumpers and runners. The latter will send
roots thru 45 mil EPDM liner. although 65 mil is mentioned as a possible
barrier.

So one key is to pick the right bamboo for the climate, and usage.

Good luck

Bamboo will not cross water - a stream/pond is one of the common
containment methods. Given that, it won't grow in water either. Dracena
(aka "lucky bamboo" or corn plant) can have stalks cut off that will
survive in water for years, but that's not bamboo.

How much a runner will run depends on climate and soil. I've got
Phyllostachys bambusoides "allgold" growing in SoCal. In our heat this
should be an agressive runner (very pretty though). But, given our
dense clay soils it's actually easy to control. In loose loamy soild
rizomes will go down 3-4 feet, but in the clay and hardpan here it only
goes down a foot and is simple to head off with a shovel.

I've never heard of it punching through 45 mil EPDM. 40 mil is the most
common used by bamboo nursuries as a rhizome barrier. It will find any
crack or seam though and push right through that.

garyr

Old 20-06-2003, 05:20 AM
LRobi31070

My bamboo grows in the veggie filter which drains in to a stream. It is doing
great. It is in a pot with dirt.
Old 20-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Gary Rich

LRobi31070 wrote:
My bamboo grows in the veggie filter which drains in to a stream. It is doing
great. It is in a pot with dirt.

I assume then that it is "lucky bamboo" - Dracaena Sanderiana - which is
not at all related to bamboo. Here's a pic of it in its native form as
well as the cutting form usually sold as if it were bamboo
http://www.yonemura.co.jp/pho/npk/s0277.jpg

If not, I'd be interested to know the variety. I'm not aware of any
true bamboo that will survive with its roots submerged.

garyr

Old 20-06-2003, 07:32 PM
LRobi31070

I have that type of bamboo indoors growing in rocks. That is not it. I will
look for a pic somewhere of it.
Old 20-06-2003, 07:44 PM
LRobi31070

Sorry i called the plant a bamboo. The person who gave it to me referred it to
me as such. Here is the correct name for it.

http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature...isetumhye.html

Old 20-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Nedra

We can get this plant from the local pond shop.
Called 'scouring rush' ....

Nedra

pond and stream pumps ady Ponds 3 27-03-2011 12:05 AM
Considering new stream to pond.. inpu? Gareee© Ponds 2 09-08-2005 01:13 PM
Eding Stream, Hiding Pond Liner bbrown9506 Ponds (alternative) 0 06-08-2005 12:24 AM
Pond, VF, Stream...finally results... BenignVanilla Ponds 1 25-08-2003 04:22 AM
Minimum Rise for a Stream BenignVanilla Ponds (alternative) 1 07-02-2003 11:58 AM