Old 23-06-2003, 05:32 AM
jammer

Default Dumb water oxygen question

Besides plants, is an air stone the only way to increase the oxygen?
This is the first full summer for the pond and it is HOT. Is there a
danger zone temp where water HAS to be cooled or air MUST be supplied?
I don't have electicity out there yet. I could run the trouble light
out there and throw in a small aquarium stone i have, but it would
have to be during the day when no one else was home.

This is a 60-70 gallon job and I have 2- 4 inch goldfish and about 30
toadlets.

Comments?
Old 23-06-2003, 05:44 AM
K30a

can you set up some kind of shade over the pond?
k30a
Old 23-06-2003, 06:42 AM
jammer

Yes, I could rig up something if i had too...

Old 23-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Sam Hopkins

As water temp increases it's ability to hold disolved oxygen decreases. Your
best bet is to some how cool the water off. If there's a super hot day dump
some ice in the water. 60-70 gallons wont be hard to cool with ice. Shade
would be the easiest.

Old 23-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Lee Brouillet

A nice airstone, one that will put a lot of bubbles on the surface, will add
the oxygen. However, warm water doesn't hold too much, so you want to shade
the pond if possible. You can shut the airstone down when you're sitting by
the pond to watch the fish, if you want to, but DON'T forget to turn it back
on. Run it at night, too. My fish like to swim back and forth through the
bubbles, kinda like kids! I guess it tickles . . .

Lee

Old 23-06-2003, 10:56 PM

an air stone is the best way. yeah, over 75o or so you need to push air into the
water. kmart air pump is fine for that sized pond. Ingrid

jammer wrote:

Besides plants, is an air stone the only way to increase the oxygen?
This is the first full summer for the pond and it is HOT. Is there a
danger zone temp where water HAS to be cooled or air MUST be supplied?
I don't have electicity out there yet. I could run the trouble light
out there and throw in a small aquarium stone i have, but it would
have to be during the day when no one else was home.

This is a 60-70 gallon job and I have 2- 4 inch goldfish and about 30
toadlets.

Comments?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 23-06-2003, 11:20 PM
*muffin*

question,
don't water falls, & other pumps running into the pond add oxygen??

& a reallly dumb question : is there a 'test' (besides dead fish) on how
much oxygen a pond has?? like other stuff you test for?

Old 24-06-2003, 03:44 AM
RichToyBox

Plants as in underwater plants like anacharis and algae put oxygen in the
water during the day, due to photosynthesis, but at night they use oxygen.
The air stones, water falls, or other means of improving oxygen levels need
to be run during the night more than during the day. The quickest tell tale
of problems to come is the fish gasping at the surface first thing in the
morning. The next morning, or the next, you will find dead fish. If the
fish are gasping, put in a pint of hydrogen peroxide per thousand gallons,
and the fish should start to settle down in just a few minutes.
--
RichToyBox

Old 24-06-2003, 04:44 PM

they do, but not to the extent that airstones will.
yeah.. O2 kits.. Ingrid

wrote in message
an air stone is the best way. yeah, over 75o or so you need to push air

into the
water. kmart air pump is fine for that sized pond. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

oxygen saturation in water butts Emery Davis[_3_] United Kingdom 30 08-07-2015 06:46 PM
Dumb question about water level and rain Pam Gibbs Ponds 7 02-08-2004 03:46 AM
Dumb question RE water features Natty_Dread Gardening 4 28-12-2003 02:32 PM
Dumb Question... Natty_Dread Gardening 4 06-03-2003 07:27 PM
Dumb Question... (in this newsgroup? What are the odds?) Cereoid+10+ Gardening 1 06-03-2003 05:27 PM