Old 01-08-2004, 01:09 AM
Pam Gibbs

Default Dumb question about water level and rain

Today we had a couple of hours of heavy rainfall, and when it stopped
raining the water level in my pond had dropped four inches.

I know that water moves through the kiddy pool part of the filter very
slowly, and that it stays so full that lots of rain will cause it to
overflow. My question is, when the kiddy pool overflows does it just spill
out the excess rain water or dies it also spill pond water too, and thus
cause the drop in the pond level?

I'm not even sure that question makes sense... Sorry,

Old 01-08-2004, 02:17 AM
RichToyBox

It is possible that you are having water run under the liner lifting the
liner during heavy rains, and then as the water is able to percolate down
into the ground, the liner subsides back to its original location, leaving
the pond level lower than before the rain. If the water level is higher
than the surrounding ground level, the weight of the water in the pond will
hold the liner down, preventing the water from building up under the liner.
If you are experiencing this, then a trench around the pond to divert the
runoff would be beneficial.
--
RichToyBox

Old 01-08-2004, 02:39 AM
Bill Stock

"Pam Gibbs" gpaktatnetdoordotcom wrote in message
Today we had a couple of hours of heavy rainfall, and when it stopped
raining the water level in my pond had dropped four inches.

I know that water moves through the kiddy pool part of the filter very
slowly, and that it stays so full that lots of rain will cause it to
overflow. My question is, when the kiddy pool overflows does it just

spill
out the excess rain water or dies it also spill pond water too, and thus
cause the drop in the pond level?

I'm not even sure that question makes sense... Sorry,

I think I understood that.

Could be something very simple too. I've seen my pond fall after a rainfall,
but only if it has been windy too. Was it windy? Did you have a fountain
running at thetime?

Old 01-08-2004, 03:23 AM
Mike Patterson

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 01:17:12 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

It is possible that you are having water run under the liner lifting the
liner during heavy rains, and then as the water is able to percolate down
into the ground, the liner subsides back to its original location, leaving
the pond level lower than before the rain. If the water level is higher
than the surrounding ground level, the weight of the water in the pond will
hold the liner down, preventing the water from building up under the liner.
If you are experiencing this, then a trench around the pond to divert the
runoff would be beneficial.

I ditto this one, as I had exactly the same problem. I placed several
large flat rocks with rounded edges in the bottom of the pond and have
not had the problem since.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

Old 01-08-2004, 05:03 AM
Pam Gibbs

Thanks to you all!.

The pond is not a liner pond. It is an old ski boat.. It holds water up to
the seam line between the top and bottom sections. That line is two inches
above ground level.. There's not a fountain or spitter. The kiddy pool
does overflow when it rains. I'm thinking maybe the plants in it block the
outlet back into the pond when it rains, so that the only place for the
water to go is over the top of the kiddy pool. . Four inches seems like a
pretty big drop, but I cannot find any other explanation. Probably we need
a bigger veggie filter kiddy pool or an additional outlet from it back to
the pond. Do you think that would help?

Old 02-08-2004, 03:46 AM
George

"Pam Gibbs" gpaktatnetdoordotcom wrote in message
Thanks to you all!.

The pond is not a liner pond. It is an old ski boat.. It holds water up to
the seam line between the top and bottom sections. That line is two inches
above ground level.. There's not a fountain or spitter. The kiddy pool
does overflow when it rains. I'm thinking maybe the plants in it block the
outlet back into the pond when it rains, so that the only place for the
water to go is over the top of the kiddy pool. . Four inches seems like a
pretty big drop, but I cannot find any other explanation. Probably we need
a bigger veggie filter kiddy pool or an additional outlet from it back to
the pond. Do you think that would help?

This may seem simplistic, but walk around the edge of the pond and/or kiddie
pool barefoot until you find the softest, mushiest place. That is most likely
where your water is going, and should give you a clue as to where to look for
overflow, leak, etc.