Old 28-06-2003, 10:32 PM
joe

Default Scarecrow DIY improvement

DISCLIAMER:
I did this to my scarecrow and it works. I won't be held responsible if you
screw up yours (sorry, I live in California and feel compelled to do this so
I don't get sued, harassed or named in any maternity suits)

Any moderately skilled person should be able to do this.

My scarecrow's best location is near a bush and turning it on and off is a
pain so -

Went to my garage and found:

10' of 2 conductor wire (extra from the switch on my garage door opener -
nice and thin) - this is WIRE A

1 - electrical wall switch.

Electrical tape

-------------------

Remove the scarecrow from its base.

Open the battery compartment and remove the battery.

Cut ONE of the battery wires so that you can easily strip the insulation
from both ends of the newly cut wire.

Strip the both ends from wire A

Connect one end of each wire A to the switch

Separate the other end of wire A and thread one piece through one of the
drain holes on the scarecrow's battery cover and the other piece through the
other hole (so we can close the cover again)

Connect these to each end of the wires you cut on the scarecrow and wrap
with electrical tape.

Replace battery, battery cover and return scarecrow to its base.

Voila. You now have a switch for your scarecrow that you can place somewhere
so you don't get wet each time you want to turn it on or off.

I only needed about 10' to where I mounted the switch, you might be able to
go further, but I don't know from how far away that little battery can push
juice. Might be nice to see if I could get it all the way to the
house....hmmmm

Joe

Scarecrow Jeff Brown Ponds 21 15-05-2005 02:41 PM
help - Scarecrow Sprinkler ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 0 07-08-2003 08:12 AM
scarecrow michael.murphy7 Ponds 1 06-07-2003 06:44 PM
Scarecrow issues Sue Alexandre Ponds 12 02-07-2003 08:20 AM
Scarecrow Sue Alexandre Ponds 5 30-06-2003 04:32 AM