GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lotus Frustration (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/34846-lotus-frustration.html)

BenignVanilla 01-07-2003 03:08 PM

Lotus Frustration

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Yep ... having the containers about 6" -12" below the
surface of the water is what I have heard ...
and what I did with my lotuses .... but who can
argue with BV's success?!

snip

Must be my clay. *laugh*

Seriously, I can't claim to much credit for them. My neighbor gave me the
tubors and suggested planting method. I also must admit, he gave me two sets
of tubors, and it appears one is going like gang busters and the other is
not. So I'd say my success rate is actually 50%.

BV.

~ jan JJsPond.us 01-07-2003 07:20 PM

Lotus Frustration

I know everyone is excited when their lotus finally buds, but I think when
the lotus has multiple aerial leaves is pretty cool too. So what's
happening at my house? Well not only do both pots now have buds with
neither having aerial leaves, the pot with the first bud, now has a second
started. What do I know about lotus? Nothing, absolutely nothin'! ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Charlie C. 01-07-2003 07:32 PM

Lotus Frustration

ode (EliezerE) wrote in
:

I got four lotus tubers, and watched three either rot or be unearthed
and chewed on by local vermin. I have one left, and I'm hoping that it
will survive the depradations to its leaves long enough to get
established and bloom this year. Has anyone else had the degree of
frustration that I am having, or did I just do everything wrong? And
why do the tubers cost so darn much?

A little off topic but since were talking about successful lotus growing...

Last July I was in China for vacation and we saw tons of Lotus farms -
basically shallow ponds crammed full of lotus. The eat the roots with some
kind of sauce and they're actually pretty good. It was pretty cool seeing
all those lotus and I'd bet the pond wasn't any more complicated then mud
bottom and shallow water.

Nedra 01-07-2003 11:54 PM

Lotus Frustration

Jan... You have proved my point - that knowing anything
about lotus guarantees their success!! I know less than
any one I know about what constitues success for plant
growing and blooming. This dismal spring I thought my
entire lotus pond was Dead! The last week of April the pond
guy came over; cleaned out the debris and fertilized the
lotuses.... you can see the result in the website below.
I dunno ...............

Nedra

Nedra 01-07-2003 11:54 PM

Lotus Frustration

Charlie, Oh you are so lucky to be able to go to China!
I would dearly love to see the lotus ponds ...
You are exactly right in your assessment of the depth
of lotus ponds. They are meant to be shallow
and of course the obligatory Mud bottom.
This is my third summer
for my lotus pond. I just put up pics on the website below.

Nedra

"Charlie C." wrote in message
. 4...
ode (EliezerE) wrote in
:

Cam 02-07-2003 10:44 AM

Lotus Frustration

Must be my clay. *laugh*

You know BV you might be right. If i understand it correctly, clayey like
soil (reddish clay soil) is richer in chelated iron than other soils. Is the
Lotus an iron loving plant?

EliezerE 02-07-2003 08:20 PM

Lotus Frustration

I didn't use bone meal or blood, but I do have a family of five raccoons and
inumerable muskrats that visit every night. I think that since I have the only
pond in the area, they go wild and rip everything to shreds. Next year I will
put a fence around the pond, or mouse traps.

Nedra 02-07-2003 09:45 PM

Lotus Frustration

Have you tried Fido Fence? I think that will keep any
of the varmits away.... once they get hit by the electrical
charge.

Nedra

~ jan JJsPond.us 03-07-2003 07:44 AM

Lotus Frustration

Jan... You have proved my point - that knowing anything
about lotus guarantees their success!! I know less than
any one I know about what constitues success for plant
growing and blooming. This dismal spring I thought my
entire lotus pond was Dead! The last week of April the pond
guy came over; cleaned out the debris and fertilized the
lotuses.... you can see the result in the website below.
I dunno ...............
Nedra

Wow. I want aerial leaves. :o( But I'll settle for buds.
Question: what is the weepy tree to the right of the umbrella?

Nedra 03-07-2003 09:08 AM

Lotus Frustration

That, Jan, is the Alaskan False Cypress (Pendula) ... it has
grown so very tall and is hanging over the pond so much
I'm surprised I don't have trouble with it. So far so good!
It's been there since I put the pond in ... 8 or 9 years ago.

John Rutz 03-07-2003 02:56 PM

Lotus Frustration

--

;and I ll settle for anything green growing from the lotus :-)

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

EliezerE 03-07-2003 10:57 PM

Lotus Frustration

John-- it's good to know that I am not the only one who ruined my lotus.
Misery loves company.

~ jan JJsPond.us 04-07-2003 08:56 AM

Lotus Frustration

That, Jan, is the Alaskan False Cypress (Pendula) ... it has
grown so very tall and is hanging over the pond so much
I'm surprised I don't have trouble with it. So far so good!
It's been there since I put the pond in ... 8 or 9 years ago.
Nedra

Nice, very nice. ~ jan :o)

Bonnie Espenshade 04-07-2003 12:56 PM

Lotus Frustration

EliezerE wrote:
John-- it's good to know that I am not the only one who ruined my lotus.
Misery loves company.

I must confess, I killed my lotus also. You are not alone :-(

--
Bonnie
NJ