Old 03-07-2003, 02:20 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Waaayy too many mosquito fish!

"Wendy Kelly Budd" wrote in message
I put in 5 mosquito fish 4 summers ago. Now I have a million. They are
smart. I have tried several ways to catch them. All work for 4-5 days.
I've done commercial minnow traps, homemade nets that are baited, the
inverted bottle. I even resorted to putting a net on the end of a pole

and
scooping them out. I catch about 11 on each pass. Reduces the population
for a day and makes me feel better.

If you find ANY thing that will eat them, get a patent.

snip

In my aquarium, rin finned tin foil barbs gobble them up, as did my gar and
my rope fish. My three tinfoils about 4 years old each can eat about 2 dozen
in a night.

BV.

Old 03-07-2003, 02:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"jammer" wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:31:11 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
m wrote:

My tinfoils barbs, and my (now deceast) gar loved chomping on rosies. My
rope fish does the same.

BV.

Oh man, ROPE FISH! I had forgotten about Cecil the sea serpant looking
rope fish! I had one in an aquarium and he eventually got out and
dried up, but what a gas he was while we had him. I wouldn't mind
having more...

I have heard they are acrobatic. Mines has stayed put.

BV.

Old 03-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

I presume tin foil barbs are tropical? Could they stand water in the low
70's. My water was 72°F yesterday. Rarely in the 80's. How many tfb do
you think it would take to eat a bizillion gambusia? Will the tfb nip at
the koi (the koi are 18"-24" and fat pigs). Another assumption, the tfb
will die during the winter?

--
Wendy* in N. California,
"Ever look at Congress and feel like the little kid in 'Sixth Sense?' I see

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 03-07-2003, 03:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"Wendy Kelly Budd" wrote in message
I presume tin foil barbs are tropical? Could they stand water in the low
70's. My water was 72°F yesterday. Rarely in the 80's. How many tfb do
you think it would take to eat a bizillion gambusia? Will the tfb nip at
the koi (the koi are 18"-24" and fat pigs). Another assumption, the tfb
will die during the winter?

snip

The tinfoils are tropical. I imagine they could take the 72 degree temps,
but they certainly would not take a winter, I am sure. I don't think they
would bother Koi. In my experience, they like to bully fish that are smaller
then them, and they will eat anything that fits in their mouth.

I had a gar I was feeding rosie's...I put two dozen in my tank one night,
and the tin foils ate everyone. They did this for 4 days straight, before I
got fed up. Yes folks, I mean 2 dozen every night for four nights. I finally
started hand feeding the gar with a small bowl, and then bought a second
tank to raise the rosie's in. My gar has since died. Sucks.

BV.

Old 04-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Kayakkhan

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Do they have Weigh****chers programs for gar? Probably had a heart attack

Old 09-07-2003, 10:56 AM
Sean Dinh

Try putting a Green Terror in the mosquito fish. She harassed all fish in my
aquarium. I had to move her to planter tub with a catfish and some goldfish. The
catfish ate all the GF. The Terror, being the same size as the GF, survived and
grew big. You might have to resort to fish her out once she grew big.

I love watching my mosquito fish.