Old 02-07-2003, 08:46 PM
stacy_friedman

Default Trying not to kill my fish

Hi folks. I just inherited a pond that's less than functional and I
need your help to avoid killing the fish.

Here's the story. I've got a decent-sized pond with about 10 koi in
it. There are two waterfalls powered by one pump. When I first
showed up, the pump and waterfalls were working fine. I just had a
guy out who installed one of those filter/UV-light units on one of the
waterfall lines and he told me it would clear up the opaque green
algae water. Meanwhile, the waterfalls have both stopped, and I
realized that the black plastic filter that should have been over the
intake was sort of floating around in the pond, unattached to anything
useful.

So I'm betting I have all sorts of leaves and perhaps some angry fish
clogging up the intake line. I can't see a bloody thing since the
water is opaque. I was hoping the UV light would fix that, but the
line got clogged before that happened. I want to (a) clean out my
lines so the pump will work again, (b) cover up the intake so gunk
doesn't get in it, and (c) have the UV light clean out the algae. I
want to do all this without killing my fish. Any pointers?

Thanks a lot for any help. My fish thank you too...

(please email copies of your reply)
Old 02-07-2003, 10:08 PM
RichToyBox

Try getting the pump out of the pond. It should be plumbed in such a way
that it is easy to remove. Run the garden hose spray backward through the
filter. This should blow the clog free. Then put the prefilter foam back
on and restart everything. There have been several suggestions for other
prefilters than the foam on the news group, including making a clam shell of
the plant baskets, or putting the pump in a bucket of lava rock or other
filter material. Try a google for better explanation of these.
--
RichToyBox

om...

Old 04-07-2003, 04:56 PM
FBCS

For RichToyBox
Hi, I took a look at your page. Your one pond gave me the answer I have been
lookink for to go deeper. Blocked wall! It will also match my walls on my
dry stream w/bridge. Question did you have a problem holding the liner
(taking for granted it is liner) in the blocks? I am envious, your water is
so clear. Your club is central VA, where? I am in So. MD. I am fairly new to
this hobby and am already upgrading also fighting Heron.
Joann

Old 05-07-2003, 02:20 AM
RichToyBox

Joann,

Thanks for the kudos. The hole was dug into the side of the hill with the
dirt being thrown to the downhill side, bringing it up to the height of the
uphill side. The liner was installed and the pond started. I then cut into
the dirt bank, placing the block, leveling the dirt between the pond and the
wall. The wall was moved in or out as needed to have the right amount of
dirt.

Most of our meetings and members are in the Richmond area, though we have a
few around Fredericksburg. If you would be interested, just let me know and
I will send you information.
--
RichToyBox

Old 05-07-2003, 05:32 AM
FBCS

That is exactly what I need to do. I have a water fall into a large preform
(higher) flowing into a preform puddle into a (lower) large preform have.
It all started in a revine of sorts. I began having trouble with visits from
the Heron demons, after reading lots of information I decided I must go deep
since preforms are only 18" and have shelves. Easy pickins. I wanted to make
one pond using rubber liner and was preplexed as to how to level out the
area. Building up the downside and using block in the answer. Richmond is a
ways, I will try to find something closer or contact you through your
website. Thanks Joann

"FBCS" wrote in message
[...]

Digging up Hosta roots (but trying not to) mkr5000 Gardening 2 20-03-2011 09:24 PM
Does anybody know if mosquito control or algacide will kill baby fish? George Ponds (alternative) 2 03-05-2004 05:06 AM
Did I just kill my fish? Chrome!Hat Ponds 9 20-04-2004 06:14 PM
How to kill fish GrannyGrump Ponds 4 17-04-2004 09:04 PM
Did I just kill my fish? Chrome!Hat Ponds 0 16-04-2004 01:07 PM