Old 09-04-2004, 08:32 AM
George

Default Does anybody know if mosquito control or algacide will kill baby fish?

Getting my pong ready for its second season. My largest goldfish has already
spawned, and I have lots of new babies in the rocks. I want to put algacide
(no, I cannot afford an ultraviolent filter - anyone want to donate one?) and
mosquito control in the pond, but am unsure if it will kill the babies. I won't
mind if most of them die (I know, it sounds cruel) because I won't have room for
so many. But I would like to keep some without taking them out of the pond.
Anyone with any experience with this? There are no recommendations on the
packages. The pond is about 1500 gallons (not including the rocks).

Old 29-04-2004, 02:05 AM
Steve Parrish

George,
There a couple of products that will take care of your needs. Pond Care
makes a product called AlgaeFix that will take out the green stuff,
including string algae, and is perfectly safe around plants and fish. Don't
think it has any effect on snails or invertebrates either. You will probably
need to follow that treatment with another product called Microbe Lift PL
that adds the necessary bacteria to decompose the dead algae quickly so that
the decomposition doesn't consume all of the pond's oxygen and kill your
fish. Handy 1-2 punch. As for the mosquitoes, there is a company by the name
of Summit that makes a couple of products that are safe around fish, etc.
One is called Mosquito Dunks and the other is Mosquito Bits. The Dunks
product floats and is a longer lasting option and the Bits product sinks and
is effective for about a week or 2. Both of them are BT var. Israelensis so
they have no effect on anything but mosquito larvae. Good luck!

news

Old 03-05-2004, 05:06 AM
George

"Steve Parrish" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the info. I found a liquid product that worked with the algae with
no problems for the baby fish. I also added the beneficial bacteria to the mix,
which made short work of the dead algae. My water is so clear that I can see
all the way to the bottom (45"). I also bought the mosquito rings, but haven't
had to use them yet. I will likely do so in the next few weeks or so. Thanks
again.

news