Old 04-07-2003, 07:08 AM
jammer

Default Air in pond question

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 06:35:48 +0100, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

"K30a" wrote in message

Get up just before sunrise and see what the fish are doing. If they are

all at
the surface they aren't getting enough oxygen and you should run the air
longer.

...or get rid of some fish, or buy some more weed.

Get rid of some fish or do WHAT????!

Old 04-07-2003, 08:20 AM
Brian Watson

wrote:

"K30a" wrote in message

Get up just before sunrise and see what the fish are doing. If they are

all at
the surface they aren't getting enough oxygen and you should run the

air
longer.

...or get rid of some fish, or buy some more weed.

Get rid of some fish or do WHAT????!

:-))

Take mind off problem...

English English and American English : two rapidly diverging languages.

--
Brian
"Let's be grateful for our Fridays and face our Mondays with good humour."

Old 06-07-2003, 01:20 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 00:45:23 -0500, jammer wrote:

Jammer, why can't you leave the air on all the time? ~ jan

Well, I still don't have electricity out there. I haul the trouble
light out there for a pond light some nights and plug the air hose
into it. I really irritate the person who pays the electric bill when
i do that. My fish are not in distress, but with approx. 2 1/2 months
left of killer heat, I don't want my goldfish to die. The bright
orange cord placed most obnoxiously night after night, does not sway
him to buy me more electricity.

You can buy battery operated air pumps. How's he feel about paying for new
batteries? (Or using rechargables?) The ones I purchased at Wally World and
really put out good bubble flow are called Big Bubbles (~ $22), takes 2 D
batteries and should give you a couple of days (I'm guessing). Only problem
they're as noisy as heck. Look in the (catching) fish (to eat) supplies
department, or I'm sure there are other brands in any sportsman dept of any
similar store. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 07-07-2003, 02:57 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote in message
during the day plants in the water make oxygen
at night when the lights go out the plants quit making oxygen and begin

using it.
after the lights go out the oxygen levels start falling, continue falling

until the
sun comes up.
aeration from midnight until the sun is well up is the most important

time.
algae, high water temps and rotting mats of organic debris on the bottom

sucking up
oxygen are the worst combinations. Ingrid

snip

How do the plants "use" Oxygen. I though we always learned in school that
plants "inhale" C02 and exhale 02?

BV.

Old 07-07-2003, 03:23 PM

plants only make oxygen when there is light. at night, they use it up just like
other living things in the mitochondria during respiration.
http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/w...etabolism.html

"BenignVanilla" m wrote:

wrote in message
during the day plants in the water make oxygen
at night when the lights go out the plants quit making oxygen and begin

using it.
after the lights go out the oxygen levels start falling, continue falling

until the
sun comes up.
aeration from midnight until the sun is well up is the most important

time.
algae, high water temps and rotting mats of organic debris on the bottom

sucking up
oxygen are the worst combinations. Ingrid

snip

How do the plants "use" Oxygen. I though we always learned in school that
plants "inhale" C02 and exhale 02?

BV.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 07-07-2003, 04:10 PM
RichToyBox

During the day, the plants, as part of photosynthesis use CO2 and give off
oxygen, using the carbon as one of the building blocks and some of the
oxygen to build new plant material. At night when their is no light for
photosynthesis, the plants as all living things need the oxygen. This
double use of oxygen by plants, fish, snails, and other living things in the
pond cause O2/CO2 swings that affect pH and the ability of the fish to
breathe.
--
RichToyBox

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 07-07-2003, 08:40 PM

during the day plants are both making and USING up oxygen. the oxygen they release
is in excess of what they need. at night they just use up oxygen. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 08-07-2003, 02:56 AM
John Ferman

In article , jammer
wrote:

Is it better than nothing to run the air 5-6 hrs at night, or is it
better to leave it off if you aren't going to run it all the time?

I have been shading 60% the pond with a large piece of cardboard
during the day. Thanks.

I don't know if what we do has any bearing on what you feel you need,
but here goes. Our pond has an upper pool and we pump pond water into
it and it flows over a lip into the lower pool. This makes splash and
brings air in. We also have a 'spitting' gargoyle into which we pump
pond water to make a stream that splashes and brings air in.

When we wintered our pond fish over we used an aquarium and we had one
of those air diffusers that aereated the aquarium. Hadn't thought of
doing that for our pond - how big of an air pump capacity would be
right for a 500 gallon pond (rough guess)?

Old 11-07-2003, 06:10 PM
Axolotl

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote in
:

[...]

you could try looking for a solar powered unit, or a solar battery
charger.