Old 06-07-2003, 12:44 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Moderated? and/or Attachments allowed?

"Hank Pagel" wrote in message
Just for the heck of it let me try web shots
http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

Wow, some really nice shots and great looking pond. Is that a hibiscus on
the fence? Can I see a closer picture of that? ) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 06-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Hank Pagel

Jan, Thanks. I added two more photos of the hibiscus to that
album. I hope you enjoy them.

Dave, Thanks for all your help. I WILL CONQUER THIS PROBLEM!

Old 06-07-2003, 03:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 22:32:05 -0400, "Hank Pagel" wrote:

Jan, Thanks. I added two more photos of the hibiscus to that
album. I hope you enjoy them.

My gosh, that looks exactly like my swamp hibiscus that I grow in the pond
(pictured on my website, under *My Pond Photos* Page 5).

Maybe next time I divide I'll try to plant it in the yard (if I can find a
place for it). Do you keep the soil very wet around it? ~ jan

Old 06-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Dan D.

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 19:04:14 -0400, "Hank Pagel"
wrote:
I can't believe it. only my home page won't post.......AAAAAAAHHH!!!

Hank, try one more thing.
Some browsers and operating systems INSIST on copying a link as HTML
even though it doesn't look like it.
I suspect that is why your web page won't post.

Did you try manually typing the url into a newsgroup post instead
of copy paste??? I suspect when you copy it your computer is turning
it into a full blown html link and that's why it's not showing up.

I'm going to type my website in my sig line below.
I'm sure it will post.
Good luck.

Peace!
Dan D. Louisville KY good ole USA
http://ky-dan.com

Old 06-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Hank Pagel

Jan, It is very similar to the swamp hibiscus but does not require
as much water. Mine are in sandy soil (1/2 mile from ocean) and they
do well. I think the swamp mallow will grow in soil also.

Old 07-07-2003, 02:46 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 12:16:31 -0400, "Hank Pagel" wrote:

Jan, It is very similar to the swamp hibiscus but does not require
as much water. Mine are in sandy soil (1/2 mile from ocean) and they
do well. I think the swamp mallow will grow in soil also.

Thanks for the information, I find it a very cool plant. I have a tropical
tree hibiscus that I bring in each fall, 2 siberians that can stay out in
the ground, a red and a pink, neither has leaves like the one you have
which is similar to the leaves of the one in my pond, which also stays out
in the pond during the winter. I also have a white swamp hibiscus with gray
green leaves. ~ jan

Old 07-07-2003, 01:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"bobkiely" wrote in message
Please excuse my ignorance but what is a binary and then what does
"non-binary" mean? And on second thought I guess 558kb isn't small - the
part I want to understand is why does it matter?

snip

Usenet was originally and technically still is a text based medium.
Applications over the years have overcome the text only format by encoding
binaries so they could be posted and then read and uuencoded back into the
original file. These "binaries" can take a lot of space as they are usually
pictures, music, video, etc. The large files can cause retention times to
drop. They can get the newsgroup blacklisted from servers that do not host
binaries, and more importantly...people with slow connections can get
hammered by a 500k attachment.

A binary...IMHO...is anything you can't open in Notepad and read.

BV.

Old 09-07-2003, 02:48 AM
mad

an idea for you to consider: post your webpage without the http:// and just
start it with the www. we all know that we can copy and paste it into the
address line on our browsers and then we could see the pix! without the
prefix it won't show up as a url.
mad
--
Women should not have children after thirty-five.
Really. Thirty-five children are enough...

From: "Hank Pagel"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 19:00:55 -0400
Subject: Moderated? and/or Attachments allowed?

I have tried it both ways set for html and for plain text only. I have
posted vendors links but if my home page is in the message the
message will not post.
"John Rutz" wrote in message

Hank Pagel wrote:
Since we are on the subject ..... If I try to insert a link, my
message does not post. Maybe someone can tell me what I am doing
wrong. Thanks in advance. If not proper on n/g than please fell

free
to email me directly.
"Steve J. Noll" wrote in message
On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 09:03:53 -0700, "bobkiely"
wrote:

shouldnt have any problem posting a message with a link we all do

it
(see sig tags )
could be a problem with the settings on your news reader is it set

not send HTML

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 09-07-2003, 04:08 AM
Hank Pagel

Thanks for the suggestion but it did not work. So I just post my web
shots page which links to my home page which links to my pond pages.
Where there is a will there is .............. .

Old 09-07-2003, 04:56 AM
mad

oh well...
mad
--
"Keeping quiet in the first place means you don't
have to say 'I'm sorry' quite so often."