Old 08-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Michael Grossman

Default Sad morning

This morning has not started off well. I came out to my pond and found one
of our Koi on his side on the bottom of the pond. I netted him and found he
was still alive but unable to swim upright. He seems unable to move most of
his fins. He is still in the net at the surface. He is one of 3 koi(4-5")
born from our koi 2 years ago. The other two seem fine along with the 3
larger koi(10-12"). And the 2 shubunkin are fine. I tested the water for
ph, nitrite, and ammonia. All are fine with a ph of just over 7.0. I did
top off the pond with probably no more than 50 gallons last night. But the
pond is between 2000-2500 gallons. Plus we have well water, so there is no
chlorine or any additives. The only other thing I can think of, is I
sprayed hornet and wasp spray up on our deck yesterday, but not in the
direction of the pond. I would think if this were the cause, the other fish
would be effected as well. I will be sick if that were the cause. Just
when you think things are going ok. This is the second fish in a week and a
half. We lost a koi a week ago to an osprey! There is no sign of any
physical damage to this fish. Any ideas?

Mike