Old 12-07-2003, 04:44 PM
PondWoman

Default Green Ponds and decaying material

Typically green ponds can be a result of a bacteria algae.
Cyanobacteria is just one example. The poster who suggested no
herbicides or algaecides I am in complete agreement with. In my
opinion, when you use these products you disturb the natural balance
of the pond. When the chemicals kill the algae, his idea on that is
right on, what is killed sinks to the bottom. This is an unhealty
situation for a pond. This material is often referred to as an organic
load. Basically what happens is the DO levels drop when the material
starts to decompose. You also will get that "fishy" smell in most
cases, and will also see those bubbles start to rise to the top. The
bubbles are the H2S gas escaping. If you have a cement pond, this can
lead to corrosion in your pumps metal works. It also can lead to
corrosion of the cement. I had a pond that installed a diffusion
system, which in theory, should provide oxygen to the pond. But what
he did was run it to the bottom of the pond, thereby dredging upp all
the decayed material and actually turning the pond over. He was
distributing nutrients to the entire area.

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote in message . ..
40,000+ species of Phylum, ohKee! Boy, was I off! ~ jan

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 04:16:36 GMT, Charles wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:26:46 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

"PondWoman" wrote in message
I am an aquatics consultant, work only with algae, and would be happy
to answer any questions you may have.
Happy Ponding
PondWoman
www.bluewaters.us

How many species of algae are there really? I've heard up to 300, close?
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

A few more.

Phylum Chlorophyta 17,000 species

Phylum Rhodophyta 4000-6000 species

Phylum Ochrophyta 10,000 species

Phylum Dinophyta 2,000-4,000 species

Phylum Haptophyta 300 species

Phylum Cryptophyta 200 species

Phylum Euglenophyta 900 species

Phylum Glaucophyta number not listed

Phylum Cyanobacteria number not listed

This data approximate, from the book "Algae" by Linda E Graham and Lee
W. wilcox

Old 12-07-2003, 11:44 PM

cyanobacter are true bacteria.. they are procaryotes
algae are eucaroytes.
people include them as plants, some not.
http://www.botany.utoronto.ca/course...16-Jan-03.html
pea soup in ponds is not commonly caused by blue green bacteria.
Ingrid

Typically green ponds can be a result of a bacteria algae.
Cyanobacteria is just one example.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com