Old 13-07-2003, 11:14 PM
*muffin*

Default barely straw

I have the pellets kind in a bag in the pond.
I read you need to keep part of it out of the pond for the air to add oxygen
to the'mix' for it to decay properly.
question :
is it supposed to STINK????
I have moved it on a few occasions & it smells pretty dang foul....

Old 13-07-2003, 11:14 PM
K30a

Muffin wrote
is it supposed to STINK????

Yup, decaying matter emits foul odors,
especially if water movement and O2 aren't
available in suffient quantities.
Barley straw is an expensive dead plant ;-)

I've never used it but here is some stuff researched by another rec.ponder on
this web page. It is a couple years old, put together about the time of the
barley straw boom.

http://hometown.aol.com/rosiedawg/my...ollection.html

k30a
Old 14-07-2003, 12:06 AM
Hank Pagel

This is the first year I am using a small straw pillow in my
waterfall. The first month we had no sunshine and I was growing
barley. As soon as we had a few days sun the straw started to decay
and my water cleared. I have not run my UV in three weeks, water is
clear but it is time for another pillow. My pond is in full sun and
the barley straw seems to be working as long as I have sunlight.

Old 15-07-2003, 12:24 AM
Anne Lurie

Just my $.02:

Barley straw seemed to work in my teeny little water garden, but it was
*way* too expensive a dog toy!

BTW, if any of you do *not* currently own dogs, I'll be happy to lend my two
girls (big one is Lab/Chessie, smaller one is Lab/Cocker Spaniel) to
dissuade you from ever owning dogs! 2-night maximum, as that's just about
as long as I can bear to be away from them!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

. ..

Old 15-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Hank Pagel

I love them but, THANK GOD FOR ALLERGIES. Can't have them ;-)

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
. com...
Just my $.02:

Barley straw seemed to work in my teeny little water garden, but it

was
*way* too expensive a dog toy!

BTW, if any of you do *not* currently own dogs, I'll be happy to

lend my two
girls (big one is Lab/Chessie, smaller one is Lab/Cocker Spaniel) to
dissuade you from ever owning dogs! 2-night maximum, as that's just

about
as long as I can bear to be away from them!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

. ..

"K30a" wrote in message
Muffin wrote
is it supposed to STINK????

Yup, decaying matter emits foul odors,
especially if water movement and O2 aren't
available in suffient quantities.
Barley straw is an expensive dead plant ;-)

I've never used it but here is some stuff researched by another

rec.ponder on
this web page. It is a couple years old, put together about the

time
of the
barley straw boom.

http://hometown.aol.com/rosiedawg/my...ollection.html

k30a

Lilly barely hanging on. [email protected] Gardening 16 12-06-2007 10:42 AM
barley straw vs oats straw? G & K Meyer Ponds 5 13-05-2004 06:04 PM
barely straw *muffin* Ponds 0 13-07-2003 06:46 PM
EM Bokashi (Was: A Biological Apocalypse Barely Averted) Brian Sandle Gardening 0 11-07-2003 01:56 AM
Korean Spice Bush Barely Blooms B.R. Jones Gardening 1 23-06-2003 03:32 PM