Old 14-07-2003, 04:26 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Dead Frog

We found a dead frog in the VF yesterday. He has a small lesion/tumor on the
side of his belly. No fish as shown any problems, and all other frogs are
happily sucking down flies.

Do you think this is an anomaly or something to be concerned about?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 14-07-2003, 08:52 PM
K30a

BV wrote We found a dead frog in the VF yesterday. He has a small
lesion/tumor on the
side of his belly. Do you think this is an anomaly or something to be concerned
about?

Could by 'normal' but....
Toss the body into a plastic bag and into the freezer.
If any more frogs show up dead with the same problem freeze them and call your
county extension agent.
They can look into it or contact the nearst university that has an interest.
Most states are keeping an eye on amphibian deformities.
One thing to be aware of is any herbicides or pesticides being sprayed by
neighbors or in your area.

P.S. You might want to label the freezer frog against future freezer cleaning
sessions - can be a bit of surprise! (Been there, done that.)

k30a
Old 14-07-2003, 09:02 PM
BenignVanilla

"K30a" wrote in message
[...]

Uh...er...he has already been...uh...disposed of.

BV.

Old 14-07-2003, 09:12 PM
K30a

BV wrote Uh...er...he has already been...uh...disposed of.

Okay.
There's always a first time ;-)
But from now on always freeze your dead frogs.
(Bet you never imagined anyone would ever say that to you when you decided to
build a pond...)

Go he
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/narcam/reports/reports.htm
You can look up Maryland and the counties involved.

k30a
Old 14-07-2003, 09:12 PM
BenignVanilla

"K30a" wrote in message
BV wrote Uh...er...he has already been...uh...disposed of.

Okay.
There's always a first time ;-)
But from now on always freeze your dead frogs.
(Bet you never imagined anyone would ever say that to you when you decided

build a pond...)

Go he
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/narcam/reports/reports.htm
You can look up Maryland and the counties involved.

Well I am trying to snack on more protein rich foods.

BV.

Old 14-07-2003, 09:22 PM
K30a

Make that malformed frogs, frogs with strange growths. Includes tadpoles.
Freeze and report them.
Most frogs die as a result of being a meal and a few of old age ;-)

k30a
Old 15-07-2003, 06:05 PM

a few years ago there was a lot of deformed frogs and pesticides, etc were blamed,
then some scientist isolated a disease agent (virus?) that infected the eggs and
caused all kinds of deformities. Ingrid

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

We found a dead frog in the VF yesterday. He has a small lesion/tumor on the
side of his belly. No fish as shown any problems, and all other frogs are
happily sucking down flies.

Do you think this is an anomaly or something to be concerned about?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 15-07-2003, 06:32 PM
K30a

Here is one report, I remember this now.
Study concludes parasitic worms cause frog deformitiesTuesday, May 07, 2002By

Jeff Barnard, Associated PressGRANTS PASS, Ore. — After slogging through 101
ponds and wetlands in five western states, scientists on the trail of a
mysterious outbreak of deformities in frogs have settled on a microscopic
parasitic flatworm as the prime suspect.
Linked with existing laboratory studies showing that the trematode known as
Ribeiroia ondatrae can cause the frogs to sprout extra legs, the new field work
closes the loop by showing a direct correlation between the prevalence of the
parasite and the number of deformed frogs, scientists said.

The rest of the article can be found here
http://www.enn.com/news/wire-stories...2/ap_47144.asp

k30a

Offical Frog ~ Pacific Chorus Frog kthirtya Ponds (moderated) 1 02-05-2007 05:18 PM
K30: Dwarf Frog Dead?? sandra Ponds 9 12-08-2003 10:06 PM
(TUB GRINDING) grind up all the dead brush and dead trees look at J.G alt.forestry 0 10-08-2003 10:03 AM
Matilda is dead too [Was: Dead Dolly] Phred sci.agriculture 1 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
Matilda is dead too [Was: Dead Dolly] Phred sci.agriculture 1 15-02-2003 03:34 PM