Old 17-07-2003, 10:52 AM
Mouse

Default golden Orfes

They are popular pond fish here in the UK but not as someone has suggested a
game fish.We also have a variant or blue Orfe. They tend to do best in a
small school. I have 4 gold and 4 blue in my 1000 gal pond, and they are
quite happy with the other fish, which are goldfish,gold tench and ghost
carp. I have kept them previously in a 500 gal pond where they grew to about
6inches in 5 years.
Mike (uk)

"John Rutz" wrote in message
anyone keep these? the LFS has some but nobody seems to know anything
about em
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

---

Old 17-07-2003, 12:42 PM
Hank Pagel

http://www.daiwasports.co.uk/woa/species/orfepic.htm
http://www.angling-holidays-uk.co.uk/thelakes.htm
http://www.fisheries.co.uk/blythe/

Ok I was a little off on the size. ;-) But I knew I had seen that
they fly fish for them in UK. I was told when I got them they were
like GF and would not get too big. Surprise!!!

. ..

Old 17-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

John Rutz wrote:
anyone keep these? the LFS has some but nobody seems to know anything
about em

Hi John,

I started with 6 and now have 4. I have no idea what
happened to the other 2 fish. Mine are about 15" in
length and are very happy in the goldfish pond. They
are great for keeping the fish population in check.
They tend to swim near the surface and will jump at bugs.
Also they like to swim in schools. Mine have had no off
spring so far, in the 6 or 7 years I've had them. Nice
fish.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 17-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Mouse

Hi Hank,
This does not seem to be same fish that I see sold here for the pond. These
are long and slender,and nothing like the shape of the carp family, and in a
very large pond will grow to about 12 inches. This is a spectacular fish
when in a school, as it races at high speed up and down the pond. My pond
book classes it as Idus idus if this of any help (but then the books aren't
always right. I think the ones that are at the fishing venues have been
introduced possibly from Europe.
Mike

"Hank Pagel" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.daiwasports.co.uk/woa/species/orfepic.htm
http://www.angling-holidays-uk.co.uk/thelakes.htm
http://www.fisheries.co.uk/blythe/

Ok I was a little off on the size. ;-) But I knew I had seen that
they fly fish for them in UK. I was told when I got them they were
like GF and would not get too big. Surprise!!!

. ..

"John Rutz" wrote in message
anyone keep these? the LFS has some but nobody seems to know

anything
about em
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

---

---

no one mentions orfes anymore Ann in Houston Ponds 11 10-10-2004 04:40 PM
Orfes Benign Vanilla Ponds 2 10-10-2004 04:38 PM
Orfes Robyn Rhudy Ponds 2 05-10-2004 04:29 PM
golden Orfes John Rutz Ponds 0 17-07-2003 12:29 AM
FREE Clematis seeds - Radar Love (Tangutica, golden) Kevin Zaleski Gardening 0 26-02-2003 01:39 AM