Old 17-07-2003, 12:39 AM
John Rutz

Default golden Orfes

anyone keep these? the LFS has some but nobody seems to know anything
about em
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 17-07-2003, 12:40 AM
Dan

John,

I've had two for three years now (Detroit area - zone 5). They are about 8"
long (about 2" when purchased). They do very well with koi. Agressive
eaters, whenever I throw some worms in the pond, they are always first to
eat.

Old 17-07-2003, 12:56 AM
*muffin*

ohh wow
I been looking for some!!!

*pout*

when I previously had some, they were fine with koi & goldfish, no special
attention needed

Old 17-07-2003, 01:30 AM
Hank Pagel

I had three several years ago. They are fun to watch, always moving
and will jump out of the water to catch bugs. I gave them away when
they quickly outgrew my little puddle. You might want to check with
one of the UK groups as they raise them as game fish over there. (up
to 15 lbs.)
They do get along with koi and gold fish.

Old 17-07-2003, 02:25 AM
John Rutz

thankd all

he ( the LFS guy ) not the owner thought they were a type of colored
mosquito fish

but if they can get as bigg as you all say guess I will pass

Old 17-07-2003, 06:01 AM

sigh. been looking for orfes. I had a whole pond full of nothing but golden orfes,
there were at least two batches of different sized babies and then this winter from
hell and they all died even tho I had the big airstone going all winter.
THEY JUMP. they are superb at birth control on GF and koi. Ingrid

John Rutz wrote:

anyone keep these? the LFS has some but nobody seems to know anything
about em

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 17-07-2003, 06:01 AM
REBEL JOE

I got 3 of them they swim right with the koi. I have had no problem at
all with them. I'm in region 5.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 17-07-2003, 06:08 AM
REBEL JOE

Old 17-07-2003, 09:44 AM
Theo van Daele

but if they can get as bigg as you all say guess I will pass

They are amazing growers... they grow about as fast as Koi in their first
years.

I bought 10 of them 5 years ago (they were less than an inch) and I have 9
left (heron :-( ) and they are all about 12" in size.

They are supposed to be school fish so you'd have to buy at least 5 to make
them happy.

A nice side effect of keeping them is that they always live at the surface,
and that seems to invite the koi to do the same. I had to put road signs in
the pond to aid them to go to the bottom from time to time ;-)

Their color is incredibly bright when they are healthy, and when you look at
the pond from a distance, they are the most eye catching color wise.

Their feeding habits make koi seem to anorexic & lethargic My wife
calls them "the sharks"...

You do have quite a large pond IIRC, so yes, I think they would be a very
well worth add-on.

Theo

Old 17-07-2003, 09:44 AM
Theo van Daele

[...]

no one mentions orfes anymore Ann in Houston Ponds 11 10-10-2004 04:40 PM
Orfes Benign Vanilla Ponds 2 10-10-2004 04:38 PM
Orfes Robyn Rhudy Ponds 2 05-10-2004 04:29 PM
golden Orfes John Rutz Ponds 0 17-07-2003 12:29 AM
FREE Clematis seeds - Radar Love (Tangutica, golden) Kevin Zaleski Gardening 0 26-02-2003 01:39 AM