Old 17-07-2003, 06:00 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Problem with Greg's DIY filter

I assume this may be the Greg of which she speaks:

http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/pond.htm His barrel filter shows using
about 2 feet thick of lava rock, that means, imo, one needs to use 2 feet
thick of some other media to get the same affect. Vinyl screening would be
my choice for something, light, cheap and easy to clean. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 17-07-2003, 06:08 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Sacha Darling,

I am pleased to read your posting. It seems as if you had abstained from
here for a while! I missed you.

Filter's are very sensitive and dependent on the filtration material used.
Once you deviate from the material the original designer used, you truly
cannot say you are building same filter. There are many things that could
be wrong with your hybrid of Greg's design, including the size, material
used, amount of water being pumped through, and the bacteria seeding!

See the links below, I currently use Skippy's filter in one pond, and
Blondie's filter in the other. You have to follow the directions closely!
Both designs work very well for me!

Of course you can shell out the dough and get a pre-made filter. That will
not guarantee you that it will work if you are not pumping enough water
through, or if you are overfeeding or over loading.

I absolutely positively frown on UV lights in my ponds, and I dread
offending the pond gods but my water is absolutely crystal clear (Watch me
start to loose fish now, and probably develop the mother of all algae bloom
and green water!)

Skippy's Filter:
http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

Blondie's Filter Design:
http://www.blondieswebdesigns.com/wa...biofilter.html

Various DIY Filter home pages:
http://mikebentley.com/ponds/homemadefilters.htm

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 17-07-2003, 02:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"MISSYMAGICGIRL" wrote in message
I made his filter as designed. I used two because I have a 3000 gph pump.

My
water is cloudy, still dirty and barely see my fish! I have even changed

some
of the water and added filter materials and still no improvement. I am

ready to
buy a premade filter which I was going to at first.

What am I doing wrong?? Any idea's??

snip

Sacha...welcome back...If you remember I am the CEO of Shareholders Pond,
also known as MyDamnOrangePond, and OnOrangePond. I think, to date, I have
had the "cloudiest" pond in rec.ponds history. I tried numerous solutions
for clearing my water and only one worked...plenty of plants...and more
importantly...STOP MESSING WITH IT. Get a cup of coffee and sit by the pond,
BUT DON'T TOUCH IT. Give it time. I stopped messing, and in 2-3 weeks, I now
have nearly 3 feet of visibility in my pond.

BV.

Old 17-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Sam Hopkins

Yep but I'd have no idea what to dose. =(

"MISSYMAGICGIRL" wrote in message
In article , "Sam Hopkins"
writes:

No filter other than a UV