Old 17-07-2003, 01:28 AM
max

Default Holidays

Our holidays next month will see us away for 4 weeks.
Currently my pump is running 24/7 with daily filter cleaning & the 20+ fish
also feeding daily.
Will the pond & more importantly the fish survive this period of neglect ?
Should I leave the pump running or not ?
Should I get a friend to feed the fish or will they be ok ?
Help !!
max (U.K.)

Old 17-07-2003, 01:28 AM
Nedra

Max,
Get a Good friend in to pond and fish sit while you are away.
There is no way you can leave your pets and pond for 4 weeks
and expect anything but disaster upon your return.

Nedra

Old 17-07-2003, 01:29 AM
K30a

max Should I get a friend to feed the fish or will they be ok ?

Fish will be fine with a feeding every couple of days especially if your pond
is mature.
What you don't want to happen is something going wonky and your pump turning
off or something get knocked and the pond draining, killing fish and the pump.
Are you cleaning screens or skimmer daily?
That daily cleaning statement has me concerned, what would happen if it wasn't
cleaned for 30 days?

I have a 16 year old boy watch my pond for me when I'm gone, with a few
instructions and a number to call if something goes wrong.

k30a
Old 17-07-2003, 01:29 AM
Iain Miller

"max" wrote in message
Our holidays next month will see us away for 4 weeks.
Currently my pump is running 24/7 with daily filter cleaning & the 20+

fish
also feeding daily.
Will the pond & more importantly the fish survive this period of neglect ?
Should I leave the pump running or not ?
Should I get a friend to feed the fish or will they be ok ?
Help !!

If your filter really needs to be cleaned every day then I would take a big
step back & consider the design of your filtration.There is no way you
should have to put in that much maintenance. EIther your pond is madly
overstocked or your filter is badly undersized - either way you do not
really have an established "eco-system" if you can't leave it for 4 weeks!

Also you'll be surprised at how long your fish can go without being fed.
They'll scavenge for food & eat bugs etc quite happily. There are some folks
who never feed the fish in their ponds....

I.

Old 17-07-2003, 01:30 AM
joe

max wrote:

Our holidays next month will see us away for 4 weeks.

Must be nice!

Currently my pump is running 24/7 with daily filter cleaning & the 20+ fish
also feeding daily.
Will the pond & more importantly the fish survive this period of neglect ?
Should I leave the pump running or not ?
Should I get a friend to feed the fish or will they be ok ?
Help !!
max (U.K.)

I would leave the pump on and have someone at least check the set up
everyday. How big is your pond? You may not have to feed everyday (or clean
the filters)

I always just like the security in knowing someone I showed how everything
works will check to make sure my auto fill valve isn't stuck to on!

Joe

Old 17-07-2003, 01:30 AM
max

Thanks for the replys, the pond is just 12mths old so I am still pretty
green at all this,your comments make sense as our dogs go with us,so we will
make arrangments to check the pond & make sure it`s o.k. & the fish are fed.
(k30a)The filter is a Fishmate uv + bio,so it`s the pads inside that clog-up
after 2 days max`m.
Thanks again, max.

Old 17-07-2003, 06:01 AM
RichToyBox

max,

The filter will need to be cleaned, so show someone how to do that. If you
want someone to feed your fish, that is fine, but measure how much you feed,
and make sure to emphasize to them not to feed more than you feed. (1/2 cup
a day, 1/4 cup, whatever) Many people have had their fish killed by friends
pondsitting overfeeding, causing high ammonia and nitrites. The fish could
probably go the 4 weeks with no problem not being fed, but they could be mad
at you and eat all your plants.
--
RichToyBox

Old 17-07-2003, 06:08 AM
RichToyBox

"max" wrote in message
Our holidays next month will see us away for 4 weeks.
Currently my pump is running 24/7 with daily filter cleaning & the 20+

fish
also feeding daily.
Will the pond & more importantly the fish survive this period of neglect ?
Should I leave the pump running or not ?
Should I get a friend to feed the fish or will they be ok ?
Help !!
max (U.K.)

School holidays by any chance? :-) Bob Hobden United Kingdom 1 10-04-2004 07:06 PM
Happy Holidays Jerrispond Ponds 8 21-12-2003 08:42 PM
Readers Holidays [email protected] United Kingdom 5 25-03-2003 10:20 PM
Garden Shows/Holidays anyone? [email protected] United Kingdom 3 25-03-2003 10:08 PM
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Allegra Roses 0 23-01-2003 08:22 AM