Old 17-07-2003, 01:34 AM
Cichlidiot

Default Opinions on PopUpPond product?

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with the new PopUpPond product? I saw a
little blurb about it in the cichlid issue of TFH and also saw it at a
local pet store. Needless to say I'm a tad skeptical that it could be any
good for how little it costs (less than $50 for the 45 gallon model). I am
however looking for a cheap water feature for the patio at my new
apartment and the 28 gallon model seems to fit that bill. To clarify, no I
would not be putting koi in something that small, probably only mosquito
fish or perhaps one comet goldfish. I'm looking mostly for a water feature
with some emerged plants to complement my container vegetable garden that
is not very expensive.
Old 17-07-2003, 01:43 AM
K30a

What comes with this pop up pond?
(Haven't heard about it.)

Rule of thumb is that DIY is usually cheaper
and better. We can get you started! ;-)

k30a
Old 17-07-2003, 05:30 AM
Dave Bell

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Cichlidiot wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the new PopUpPond product? I saw a
little blurb about it in the cichlid issue of TFH and also saw it at a
local pet store. Needless to say I'm a tad skeptical that it could be any
good for how little it costs (less than $50 for the 45 gallon model). I am
however looking for a cheap water feature for the patio at my new
apartment and the 28 gallon model seems to fit that bill. To clarify, no I
would not be putting koi in something that small, probably only mosquito
fish or perhaps one comet goldfish. I'm looking mostly for a water feature
with some emerged plants to complement my container vegetable garden that
is not very expensive.

I don't have any experience with it, but it looks to be not a bad little
package for a patio puddle. JustLiners sells it for $25 and $35 for the 28
and 50 gallon models. Looks like all it comes with is a 60 gph pump, but
that's adequate to build a mini filter around, and gives enough turnover.

http://www.justliners.com/popuppond.htm

Dave

Old 17-07-2003, 05:31 AM
K30a

Dave found --
http://www.justliners.com/popuppond.htm

Oh, that looks nice! And comes with the
pump. Go for it ;-)

Build a filter around the pump in a rigid black mesh water plant basket and you
won't have
to fiddle with cleaning the little filters they come with.

Hopefully some good deals to be found on pond plants at this time of year.

k30a
Old 17-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

K30a wrote:
What comes with this pop up pond?
(Haven't heard about it.)

Rule of thumb is that DIY is usually cheaper
and better. We can get you started! ;-)

k30a

I saw a print ad. It looked like it had soft sides and I
thought kids might accidently drain the pond by leaning on
the edges.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 18-07-2003, 02:48 AM
Wilson

"Cichlidiot" wrote in message
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with the new PopUpPond product? I saw a
little blurb about it in the cichlid issue of TFH and also saw it at a
local pet store. Needless to say I'm a tad skeptical that it could be any
good for how little it costs (less than $50 for the 45 gallon model). I am
however looking for a cheap water feature for the patio at my new
apartment and the 28 gallon model seems to fit that bill. To clarify, no I
would not be putting koi in something that small, probably only mosquito
fish or perhaps one comet goldfish. I'm looking mostly for a water feature
with some emerged plants to complement my container vegetable garden that
is not very expensive.

Not yet....but I think I will have soon

~Wilson~

Old 18-07-2003, 04:12 AM
Cichlidiot

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:
I saw a print ad. It looked like it had soft sides and I
thought kids might accidently drain the pond by leaning on
the edges.

That was something I was concerned about too. Not because of kids (I have
none and all my nephews are old enough to be told not to do that), but
because my apartment complex has a TON of cats wandering around. Almost
everyone seems to have a cat and many are let outside. I keep imagining
that a cat will either dip over the side and drain the pond or pierce the
pond material trying to get a drink of water. That's why I was wondering
if anyone had any experience with this product.