Old 18-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Tom La Bron

Default Summer Woes

Folks,

Summer is great, but right now we have been having constant 100+ degree
temperatures and Bagworms. The only thing that can be said good about the
100+ temperatures this years is that when we have 5 consecutive days of 100
degree temps the ticks die, which is good. The only problem with that though
is that my daughters are in New Mexico visiting their Aunt and Uncle and
their cousins for 3 to 4 weeks, but at least when they get back in August
sometime the ticks will be gone.

When temps are like this the Bagworms take over and you may say why is this
a bother, well, I will tell you, the damn worms build their bags right over
my ponds so their poop drops into the pond or on the lily leaves. What a
mess. At least with the new filter this years the extra poop is being
process by the filter and there have been no shifts up in ammonia or
nitrites, they are zero.

Talking about lilies, what a joke that has been. I went with a number of
people's advice and when I divded by lilies again this year I planted my
lilies in pea gravel. My lilies have not grown worth a damn. Needless to
say, there will be no dividing next year. I will be lucky to have lilies to
replant in soil. Usually, after dividing and repotting (in soil, Oklahoma
clay) my lilies take off and cover my ponds. The literally grow out of the
ponds on long stems and produce what I can only call aerial leaves. I have
no problem with string algae or anything. Not this year. I have had my first
heavy bout with string algae in literally decades. It has been so long since
I have had this problem that it all comes backs to me why people are always
complaining about it. The only thing that I an say about my pea gravel
planting is that my filter is so efficient in the nitro cycle department
that there is nothing for the plants to use in the water. When they are in
soil I usually fertilize every month with OKie plant tabs, but with the pea
gravel you can do this and need to depend on what is in the water to supply
nutrients to the plants. Well, the filter must be taking that all out
because my plants are crappy this year.

Needless to say, I will be going back to soil next year.

I am slowly getting my air pump manifolds built t use the high capacity
piston pump that I bought this year supply air to the ponds. Hopefully, it
has the capacity that the literature says is does. It is suppose to be
capable of putting out 20psi and run 10 airstones.

Atwoods also had a sale on their 300 gallon Rubbermaid troughs for $149,
which is dirt cheap, so I put one on lay-a-way and will be paying it off a
little at a time. I may have it out next month, but will have to see. I am
going to use for my pump tub so when the electricity goes off and comes back
on later there will be enough water in it so the pump won't run dry. In any
event, I couldn't pass it up at that price.

Well, hope every one else is doing OK in these summer months.

Tom L.L.

God Bless and Keep You and Yours,

Regards from Pawnee, OK, USA, Zone 7a, and Hope you have a "Great Day,"

Tom La Bron

LTA Oklahoma State University

Office E-mail:

Home E-mail:

Website URL:
http://www.geocities.com/norbal.geo

Webb Starting woes Bevilready Lawns 3 01-04-2009 09:40 AM
spines and summer surprises, summer regulars and total garden MADNESS again........... madgardener Gardening 4 10-07-2003 03:20 AM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 24-02-2003 11:10 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:29 PM
Algae woes Stuart Mueller Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 09-02-2003 01:53 PM